[Solved] How to turn on smart quotes or curly quotes?

Discuss the word processor
Dobob

[Solved] How to turn on smart quotes or curly quotes?

Post by Dobob »

I spent hours googling and none of the answers work except for the one where you search for the straight quotes and replace them. I want to use smart quotes or curly quotes by default. Is there a way to do this in openoffice 4.15?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 02, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.15, Windows 7 64 bit
acknak

Re: How to turn on smart quotes or curly quotes?

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Try Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Localized Options > Single quotes/Double quotes > Replace: ON

If it's still not working, make sure Format > AutoCorrect > While typing: ON (checked)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

1) Make sure that the language formatting matches with the text you are typing. "Language" is just a formatting attribute like font, color or size. This attribute determines the auto-correct features and the spell checking for the text you are typing right now.
You can set this attribute for the whole text, for the current paragraph or for selected portions via Tools>Languages.
You can create documents in different languages or multi-lingual documents by utilizing the general concept of templates and styles.

2) Make sure that the replacement of quotes is enabled in Tools>Autocorrect Options... tab [Localized Options]
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
spursystarman

Post by spursystarman »

The "as you type" option clearly won't work if you already have a load of text that has already been typed! What I want to do is go through all the text and do a search and replace - replacing a 'curly' quote with a 'straight' one. This is because I am actually after the 'double prime' symbol used to represent 'inches'(or indeed, seconds). Is it possible to enter ASCII codes or unicodes into a search and replace box?
openoffice 4.1.2 on windows 7
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If the curly quote already exists in the text, the easiest thing to do is copy and paste the character from the text into the Search For box in the Find and Replace dialog. That will save you having to find just the right ascii code.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You can find characters by their hex code by entering

Code: Select all

\uhhhh
in the Search For box where hhhh is the four digit character code.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
spursystarman

Post by spursystarman »

Pasting an already typed character isn't the problem - in fact that's what I did. So yes, you do that in the 'find' section. But now I want to replace that with the double-prime symbol. How do I type that into the 'replace with' box?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Click cursor on the Replace box and press "; it won't be substituted to curly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
spursystarman

Post by spursystarman »

Wow! That actually worked! Thanks loads RoryOF.
chrijeff

Post by chrijeff »

Try Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Localized Options > Single quotes/Double quotes > Replace: ON

Acknack, thank you! You saved me having to post this query myself. I did what you said, and hurrah, there are my apostrophes smartly curved (the quotation marks were by default, which I must say I find weird; why not default both?--hint, hint, hint for the people building the next version of the software).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista