Is "Size" Paper Size Only or is it Page Size?

Discuss the word processor
yonargi1

Is "Size" Paper Size Only or is it Page Size?

Post by yonargi1 »

1. Is "Page Size" for the paper size only or does it give you the size you want your document to be? In other words, can I have 8 x 11 paper size but the size of the printing will be less?

2. I have found that the standard default position is A4, 8.23" x 11.66", 8" x 11" presumably, for page and paper size. But I am typing up a book that is supposed to be 6" x 9". If I click C5, 6.34 x 8.98 will it print right on standard sized (8" x 11" ) paper.

Excuse me for being so dense but I have to get this right at the beginning so I don't create a lot of work for myself later. Thank you a lot!
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Is "Size" Paper Size Only or is it Page Size?

Post by RoryOF »

The Page Size (in /Format /Page or /Format/Styles and Formatting. 4th icon from left for Page Styles) will be the size of the page OpenOffice is using for layout. Note that you can select a User size, and enter 6" x 9" exactly, and adjust the margins as you wish. The printer will print this page size on the standard paper it is set for - in Europe usually A4, in USA US letter, but depending on the printer the standard paper size can be altered (/File /Print / Properties button); this may only allow some limited paper sizes, usually US Letter, A4, Foolscap, Us Legal; Rarely does a printer allow customised paper sizes. How the printer will handle your 6" x 9" page on (say) an A4 sheet may differ from printer brand to printer brand.

I have just tried an A5 page printed on an A4 paper (old Samsung printer). In this case the A5 page is printed centred on the A4 sheet. The Page Layout tab on /File /Print allows one to ask for a border to be printed around the page. I tried also after asking for the border; In the case of my test the line didn't print (the border may have been too fine), but the page was now centred left to right, but with its top edge aligned to the paper top. I think you will have to experiment with this on your printer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS