Page Preview looks great, what prints isn't even close???

Discuss the word processor
Fredo9000

Page Preview looks great, what prints isn't even close???

Post by Fredo9000 »

Attempting to create envelopes for Thank Yous.

Downloaded a template of a #10 envelope, changed the size to #6. Page Preview looked perfect, but included image was cut off and text all out of alignment. Tried several things like adjusting the table settings and margins but only succeeded in lowering the misaligned output on the page a bit.

Gave up on the templates, and attempted a #6 envelope from scratch, used narrow margins, added two lines of text (no tables inserted) and inserted an image in the lower right corner. Same thing happens, Preview appears perfect, nothing is correct on the envelope. First line of text is missing, centered text is at the top of the envelope and the image is two thirds cut off and at the top, not the bottom.

What the heck?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Page Preview looks great, what prints isn't even close??

Post by RoryOF »

Have you set the /File /Print : Printer properties to have the envelope feed in the same aspect as it is set in /Format /Page : Page tab?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Fredo9000

Post by Fredo9000 »

Thank you for the quick reply. That does appear to be the issue.

I have a Canon MX printer. Should I think it odd that it shows an envelope size of #10, but no #6 in the drop down list? If I attempt custom page size, the 5" is shortest height available.

Should I be checking for new drivers or firmware here? Never encountered anything like this before.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Envelope sizes are defined in the printer driver, as far as I know. I've just examined three different printers on the same machine, and they all have a different selection of envelopes.

I can't answer for Canon printers - I use Linux as an operating system and Canon printers seem to need careful handling on linux, so I don't use them. If 5" is the smallest paper you can enter, that might limit the range of envelopes. To be honest, I don't worry about printing envelopes - I print the address on paper and stick it on the envelope with gum (a great invention!).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

A useful workaround for printing issues is to export to pdf, then use your system's pdf viewer to do the printing.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Fredo9000

Post by Fredo9000 »

Seems like a lot of work...

I was able to print one envelope dictating the page size with custom settings. It worked exactly once and refused to work again, defaulting to 8.5 x 11 and ignoring all else.

I gave up, booted up an old, dusty Dell and used MS Word. Word didn't offer a #6 Envelope for the page layout, so I used custom settings. The printer had no trouble with the page size after that.