[Solved] Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Discuss the word processor
Chris1x

[Solved] Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Post by Chris1x »

Hello. I have a problem with OpenOffice (on Windows 10) where the display corrupts when I'm scrolling. The effect is that parts of lines get left behind when I scroll so that the document gets jumbled. Apologies if this has been dealt with before - I have searched for it but was not able to find anything about this.

It may help to note that the backgrounds on all the function icons on the toolbars have turned black - this is not too much of a problem in itself but I mention it in case it helps identify the cause of the problem.

I have had similar problems in the past but have always been able to fix them by restarting OpenOffice or my laptop. But this time this has not worked. I also downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice (4.1.4) but this has not fixed the problem either.

I have tried resetting the user profile but this has not worked either.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but this problem started after I upgraded my Kaspersky Internet Security to 2018 - I can't see how this could be relevant but there may be a link.

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Chris1x

Re: Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Post by Chris1x »

Hello. Me again. Since posting that problem, I have restarted my laptop and (for now anyway) the problem has gone away! Maybe the combination of resetting the user profile followed by a restart of the system was the key (though I did not see that a restart was required when resetting the user profile). Anyway, for now the problem has gone away. I will let you know if it comes back again. Sorry for wasting anyone's time, Chris
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also try the Ctrl+Shift+R to refresh the AOO screen.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Chris1x

Re: [Solved] Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Post by Chris1x »

Thanks Hagar Delest - that's a useful tip to remember (though it did not help on this occasion). I have replaced this topic with a new one as I have discovered that my OpenOffice problem only occurs when I have a website open in Kaspersky protected browser (with KIS 2018) - so the problem is now more precisely described in that new topic (plus I am also working with Kaspersky to look for the explanation / solution).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Screen Corruption on Scrolling

Post by John_Ha »

Chris1x wrote:... though I did not see that a restart was required when resetting the user profile
Correct. A restart is a separate recommendation as it often fixes problems on its own.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.