Again, Red-lines under text, all words underlined red-lines

Discuss the word processor
helloOO

Again, Red-lines under text, all words underlined red-lines

Post by helloOO »

I did a new-topic on this in the past.

I just want to mention that the problem has been happening about every 1.5 months for 2 years.

I have followed the directions of the OpenOffice Forum leaders, and wait not only a few seconds after shutting-down Open Office, but usually 30 seconds to 1 minute, before shutting-down my computer, and sometimes much longer. Still the problem occurs.

I then follow the OpenOffice Forum leaders advice to rename 'user' to 'user_old', which fixes the red-line problem. I now have many 'user_old' files, such as 'user_old', 'user_old1', 'user_old2', etc.

When I rename 'user' as mentioned above, my entire dictionary is lost. I have followed the Open Office Forum leaders advice on how to bring-it-forward, but nothing works.

I also have to re-do all of my toolbar settings, page structure, ruler setting, turn off Auto-correct, etc.

On a different topic, having images in my document has been horrible -- if I edit some text before the images, what usually happens is that the images abruptly stack on one another, and/or move all over the place, making it necessary to re-arrange them in the document, which often takes many minutes of frustration, because the images, as I do this, still move all over the place, until they finally set in one place. I have tried all possible options -- the various anchor-options, set-to-page, set-to-paragraph, etc. I've spent an incredible amount of time and anguish doing this over 2 years. I'm afraid to touch any text now because I will have to now spend 30+ minutes going through the images to re-do all of them. Very sad. I would think that this would not happen.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows
RoryOF

Re: Again, Red-lines under text, all words underlined red-li

Post by RoryOF »

As I don't use Windows I cannot comment on its current foibles. I can tell you that, using OO on linux, the only time I have ever lost OO's spellcheck is when my computer has powered down because of a powercut.

I suggest that, when you have OO set up to your requirements, with OO closed, you back up your User Profile; then, on loss of a user profile, as indicated by spellcheck redlining, copy the backup profile onto the current one. You will lose words added to dictionaries since making the backup and the shortcuts in Recent Documents to the latest edited files, but your configuration of dictionaries and toolbars should be as you saved them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Again, Red-lines under text, all words underlined red-li

Post by John_Ha »

helloOO wrote:When I rename 'user' as mentioned above, my entire dictionary is lost.
In fact, when you create a new Profile, you can copy back everything except the \config folder. It is the \config folder which is corrupted. Your user dictionary is stored in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook\standard.dic so you can just copy it back.

If you use the macro in Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix it fixes spell check errors without losing your dictionary etc.
helloOO wrote:On a different topic, having images in my document has been horrible -- if I edit some text before the images, what usually happens is that the images abruptly stack on one another, and/or move all over the place, making it necessary to re-arrange them in the document, which often takes many minutes of frustration, because the images, as I do this, still move all over the place, until they finally set in one place. I have tried all possible options -- the various anchor-options, set-to-page, set-to-paragraph, etc. I've spent an incredible amount of time and anguish doing this over 2 years. I'm afraid to touch any text now because I will have to now spend 30+ minutes going through the images to re-do all of them. Very sad. I would think that this would not happen.
This is because the image Anchors are moving. When you insert an image, Writer stores the horizontal and vertical distance of the image from the anchor. If you move the anchor, the image moves.

I prefer Anchor to a paragraph for all my images, where the anchor is located at the start of the paragraph, and I always make sure that the image is located close to (say, within a few lines) the start of the paragraph containing the anchor. Note that dragging an image will cause the anchor to jump to the next appropriate available place. When the anchor is where you want it to be, fine-tune the image location to position the image. If the paragraph is very long you may want to insert a redundant new paragraph just so that the image and its anchor are close together.

Very important - if you insert multiple images close together it is best to anchor each image to its own paragraph - do not put more than one anchor on one paragraph.

For example, create a new, empty document. Now insert three images as Anchored to a paragraph. There is only one (empty) paragraph in the document so all three images are anchored to it and all images overlay each other. If you insert ten images and drag them to the next page the images are a long way from their anchor. It is much better to put in lots of empty paragraphs (press Enter multiple times) and anchor each image to a nearby paragraph. See Item 11 in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer. Also read Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics in the Writer Manual for more information about anchor and wrap options.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.