Lock file has ~ , can I change that to work with OneDrive

Discuss the word processor
chasgl

Lock file has ~ , can I change that to work with OneDrive

Post by chasgl »

When you open an OpenOffice forum it creates a file of the form .~lock.filename.ods . But I am using OneDrive and it is allergic to files with special characters in their names like tidly ~. Is there a way to change the naming convention of the lock file so things work well with OneDirve?
OOo 4.1.3 on Windows 10 64 bit pro
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: lock file has ~ , canI change that to work with OneDive

Post by Villeroy »

Install https://libreoffice.org/
menu:File>Open Remote File...
Click [Add Service]
Choose "One Drive" and enter your login credentials.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
chasgl

Post by chasgl »

I was probably unclear. I can use OneDrive except the lock file that OpenOffice creates has a tidly ~ in its name and OneDrive give an error message every tim and does not copy that file to the cloud. I want to find out if there is a way to change OO's naming convention so OneDrive doesn't complain about it.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chasgl wrote:When you open an OpenOffice forum it creates a file of the form .~lock.filename.ods . Is there a way to change the naming convention of the lock file so things work well with OneDirve?
No. The .~lock.filename.ods file is created in the folder in which the document is located and is deleted when the document is closed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
chasgl

Post by chasgl »

True the file is created in the folder the document is in. That is a folder on OneDrive. I do that so I can work with the file from different computers. the ~lock file causes OneDrive problems; there is a list of special characters it does not like in file names ~ is one of them. This causes two problems for me 1) there are error messages on OneDrive and I have to look at each one to see if it is really a problem or just this 2) the lock file does not appear on the second computer so the locking function does not work between computers. If there was some way to change the name to not have the tidly ~ I think it would solve both problems.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chasgl wrote:If there was some way to change the name to not have the tidly tilde ~ I think it would solve both problems.
Sorry - you cannot change it.

A clunky workaround would be to edit everything on the hard drive and upload the saved .odt files to OneDrive.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.