Copying Styles Between Documents

Discuss the word processor
GridLok

Copying Styles Between Documents

Post by GridLok »

As has previously been suggested to me, I have endeavoured to first refer to the OO Writer User Guide (V 3.3 seems to be the relevant item), to provide instructions … in this instance, as to how to copy Styles between documents/templates … unsuccessfully.

I had planned to list, in detail, all steps I took to implement the instructions listed on pg. 191, but it was clearly going to take too much time. Suffice it to say I could not find a permutation of the instructions that worked. The main problem was, holding down the"Control" key then clicking (in order to drag) always caused the Commands pop-up to appear. Simply 'click&drag' resulted in the style being removed from the source document's styles list to that of the document to which I wanted it copied … as noted in the"Caution!" on pg. 192.

If users are to be urged to use the User Guide, it would help if the instructions were more clearly worded (in the English version, at least): "Double-click on the name of the template or document and then double-click the Styles icon …"? Which "template or document"? The source document in one column and the recipient "template or document" in the other column? Does it matter which column (left or right)? etc. Perhaps the instruction to hold down the Control key applies to Windows O/S but not to Mac O/S?

"Loading styles from a template or document (see page 175)." Was not pertinent, since I only wished to copy two character styles, not the entire cohort of styles.
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Copying Styles Between Documents

Post by Bill »

On Windows or LInux, when you click and drag an object, a + sign appears by the mouse pointer when you press the CTRL key indicating that the opject will be copied. Is there a key on a Mac that does the same thing? It's been more that ten years since I used a Mac.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Thanks for responding Bill. Yes when copying things within the Mac files-system, a + sign appears when click/drag is used but I don't use CTRL when doing so. If nothing else comes of my post, I have learnt something … I never knew I could copy text between OO Writer documents by selecting the text to be copied, then click-&-drag to the recipient document. Wonderful! But again, using the "control" (on the Mac keyboard) button opens a 'pop-up' menu - i.e. acts as a 'right click'. Perhaps the fact that I use trackpad - not a mouse - affects what needs to be done when attempting to follow the OO Writer User Guide instructions. This would be surprising to me, as I have not previously experienced any such problem.
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

I suspect you inadvertably missed this note in the Writer V3.3 Userguide:

""
Note for Mac users
Some keystrokes and menu items are different on a Mac from those used in Windows
and Linux.

The table below gives some common substitutions for the instructions in
this chapter. For a more detailed list, see the application Help.
""
In the abovementioned table is an image of the key to be used.
It is commonly known as the Command-key or Apple-key

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Thank you DiGro, for your suggestions. As I stated in the initial post, I did originally set-out to list all the steps I had taken, in trying to achieve what the Writer Guide indicates is possible … but found it was taking too much time. I had read the section to which you refer. To date I have found that - and I tried it again after reading your post - pressing the "Command-key or Apple-key" makes no difference. Whether or not I press that key, while clicking and dragging, the target style can be moved between documents/files … but not copied from one to the other.
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4