[Solved] Can't Open File. Read Error.

Discuss the word processor
John7216

[Solved] Can't Open File. Read Error.

Post by John7216 »

Hi, I am writing a novel and tracking my editor's changes. I've spent hours on it and
now when I try to open the file, I get: Read Error. Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content .xml at 2,4476 (row, col).

It's a full novel, so big file.
What can I do to recover it?
Thanks-
John
Last edited by John7216 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.0. Installed on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Help! Can't Open File. Read Error.

Post by FJCC »

If you have experience with xml files, you can change the file extension from .odt to .zip, open the zip archive, extract the content.xml file and look for errors in it. Once you have fixed the errors, you just put the content.xml back in the zip archive and change the file extension back to .odt. If that sounds scary, you need to either post the file where someone can look at it, Drop Box, Google Drive or a file sharing site like MediaFire, or email the file to someone here. I can look at it but I am far from the most skilled on this site at fixing xml files. Reply here if you want to email it to me and I will send you an email address.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John7216

Post by John7216 »

Thanks FJCC,
I can email it to you. What is your addy?
Open Office 4.1.0. Installed on Windows 7
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Replied with my email address via a private message.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Help! Can't Open File. Read Error.

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.