[Solved] Resume format conversion issues!!

Discuss the word processor
LauraS

[Solved] Resume format conversion issues!!

Post by LauraS »

Please help me!
I am desperately seeking a new job and have spent hours updating my resume to a modern looking format/layout. I am not very experienced with Open Office and have found that the document that I painstakingly crafted (that looks great as the .odt version) does not seem to display well if opened with another program: Word, Google docs, etc. I realize that as I am applying online for most positions, the hiring manager will most likely not be using Open Office. Also, I want to get some printed at Staples or Office Depot but am worried that I'll have the same issue. I've attached a copy of the file in question.

Sincere thanks for your help,
Laura
Attachments
LSresume-hospitality2017a.odt
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Post by robleyd »

G'day, and welcome to the community forum.

One of your issues may be that you have used fonts which are not necessarily available on all systems. There are also some issues with compatibility when saving AOO Witer documents in MS Word format - see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for more information.

Given that you probably don't want or need those to whom you are sending the resume to be able to edit it, you might consider providing it in PDF format via File | Export as PDF.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
LauraS

Re: Please help! resume format conversion issues!!

Post by LauraS »

Hi there!
Thank you so much for your help. I'll read the article and try to export it as PDF.

Thanks again :)
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10