Encrypting format

Discuss the word processor
tjgipson

Encrypting format

Post by tjgipson »

I recently download OpenOffice 4.1.4 and now when I try to open some documents I had previously written in an earlier version I am shown a box named ASC11 Filter Options with the section CHARACTER SET highlighted and it seems that no matter which item I choose in that box the file appears to be encrypted when I open it. I can see the file in the view area as written but not in the main area where I can work with it.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: encrypting format

Post by Zizi64 »

and now when I try to open some documents I had previously written in an earlier version I am shown a box named ASC11
ASC11 = ASCII (ascii)

Which fileformat are you using for your documents?
Can you upload a sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Re: Encrypting format

Post by RoryOF »

Were these files passworded? Were they moved from another computer? Have you restarted your computer since upgrading to OO 4.1.4?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Encrypting format

Post by John_Ha »

The ASCII options option box means that the contents of the file are not like the contents of a .odt or .doc or .docx file, but are flat (ASCII) text.

If you are opening a .odt file, or a .doc file, or a .docx file, and you get the message, it means that all content has been lost from your file and the .odt or .doc or .docx file is hopelessly corrupted.

If you upload the file someone will have a look at it but your only hope is probably to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.