[Solved] Any chances for my PDF?

Discuss the word processor
Lesley_Vos

[Solved] Any chances for my PDF?

Post by Lesley_Vos »

Hi, guys!

Please, advise:

Is it possible to open a PDF file in Open Office Writer? I mean, with no prior converting with any programs. And how, if so?...

The thing is, I've downloaded the report from my plagiarism detector, and it's in a PDF format. Yes, it easily opens via Draw, but I need to edit it, so Writer would come in handy :(

Last edited by Lesley_Vos on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Any chances for my PDF?

Post by Villeroy »

If you created the document with a word processor, you have to load the original type of text document into a word processor (e.g. Writer or Word), edit that document and then export a new pdf. pdf is exactly the same as printing to paper just without paper and you can not edit pdf for similar reasons why you can not edit a sheet of paper. Any software that is able to export drawings or text to a printer device can also print to a pdf file.There is plenty of software to view PDF on all devices but only the costly Adobe Arobat Suite can edit PDF regardless of origin. Within your office suite, Draw is the most adequate component to edit lines, shapes and text on virtual paper sheets regardless of origin.
Professional office workers create their text documents from templates. If you can't access the original document, load the same template from where you created the lost document and paste-special text only from the PDF viewer into the template. You may need to remove page headers and footers. WIthin a few minutes you should have reconstructed the same document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lesley_Vos

Post by Lesley_Vos »

Hm... Will try the algorithm with a word processor you describe. Thanks, Villeroy!
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Lesley_Vos wrote:Is it possible to open a PDF file in Open Office Writer? I mean, with no prior converting with any programs. And how, if so?...
See [Tutorial] How do I edit a PDF?

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.