[Solved] Connecting to Grammarly

Discuss the word processor
safwan ahmed

[Solved] Connecting to Grammarly

Post by safwan ahmed »

Grammarly could be very useful for open office as it helps to improve typing styles and provides better words to use but it only works with MS office and not with open office, I would like to know why?
Attachments
Grammarly
Grammarly
G.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 24839 times
Last edited by safwan ahmed on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Openoffice 4.1.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Connecting to Grammarly

Post by Villeroy »

Do you believe that Microsoft adds something to their product so it works with that other program? No, it is that other program which communicates with Microsoft Office, so you have to ask them why they don't do the same with LibreOffice, OpenOffice or similar products.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

First, welcome to the forum.

I looked into the Grammarly-MS Word interface and found that it's only included in the paid version, which is rather expensive IMHO. That may be a reason why the developers of AOO or LibreOffice (and Grammarly as well) aren't in a hurry to provide an interface with it - how many users of free software will buy the full support of Grammarly?

PS: This topic has nothing to do with how the forum works, so I moved your question to the Writer section.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
safwan ahmed

Post by safwan ahmed »

floris v wrote:First, welcome to the forum.

I looked into the Grammarly-MS Word interface and found that it's only included in the paid version, which is rather expensive IMHO. That may be a reason why the developers of AOO or LibreOffice (and Grammarly as well) aren't in a hurry to provide an interface with it - how many users of free software will buy the full support of Grammarly?

PS: This topic has nothing to do with how the forum works, so I moved your question to the Writer section.
But doesn't Grammarly have a free version which is downloaded and used in MS-Office? that's what I downloaded.
Openoffice 4.1.4
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I do not know anything about the Grammarly. What is it? I suppose, it is a language tool; a spellchecker software, is not?

The LibreOffice has a very good language toolset. I suppose you not needed other tools when you use the LO. HEre is a long list of the supported languages and the existing language-related functions:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lan ... ibreOffice
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
vran706@gmail.com
Banned

Post by vran706@gmail.com »

Hi all.
Don’t get me wrong, Grammarly is great. But don’t you think all the spell check and grammar check features are decreasing our individual to spell words and formulate sentences effectively?
[url=http://geek-nose.com]OpenOffice 2.4/ Windows 10[/url]
safwan ahmed

Post by safwan ahmed »

Zizi64 wrote:I do not know anything about the Grammarly. What is it? I suppose, it is a language tool; a spellchecker software, is not?

The LibreOffice has a very good language toolset. I suppose you not needed other tools when you use the LO. HEre is a long list of the supported languages and the existing language-related functions:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lan ... ibreOffice
Does LibreOffice have to be downloaded separately?
Openoffice 4.1.4
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Grammarly is way beyond the Language tool, at least the version for checking text in input boxes in your browser. From what I saw on their website, support for MS Office is part of the paid version, but is also shipped with MSO. I don't know how it will work for people who mess up their sentences, like: will it be able to make sense of very bad grammar so that it can offer suggestions for improvements?

LibreOffice has to be downloaded and installed separately.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
safwan ahmed

Post by safwan ahmed »

floris v wrote: I don't know how it will work for people who mess up their sentences, like: will it be able to make sense of very bad grammar so that it can offer suggestions for improvements?
I have tried Grammarly as I installed it on Google Chrome for WordPress, writing an email and also installed it for MS-Office. I found it very satisfying as it provides me with better words to be used in my sentences along with spell check to make it more presentable.
Openoffice 4.1.4
LilZebra

Post by LilZebra »

I have been using LanguageTool for LO and before that Oo.org for YEARS. It is FREE and is easy to use.

For example it replaces all straight " quotes with “ ” curly ones to make a more professional document. It can see extra spaces, can see duplicated words like 'the the'.

LanguageTool is making a version for Mozilla Firefox, so I can write even better than with just the built-in spellchecker Firefox already has.
LibreOffice 6.1.3.2 (Linux Fedora 29 on x86_64) with 'Notebookbar'
OpenOffice.org since 2002-12. LibreOffice user since 2013-current.
HSQLDB 2.5.0
safwan ahmed

Post by safwan ahmed »

LilZebra wrote:I have been using LanguageTool for LO and before that Oo.org for YEARS. It is FREE and is easy to use.

For example it replaces all straight " quotes with “ ” curly ones to make a more professional document. It can see extra spaces, can see duplicated words like 'the the'.

LanguageTool is making a version for Mozilla Firefox, so I can write even better than with just the built-in spellchecker Firefox already has.
Thanks for your suggestion, LilZebra. :D
Openoffice 4.1.4
safwan ahmed

Post by safwan ahmed »

Thank you all for your time to help me out. :D
Openoffice 4.1.4
lenwheeler12

Re: [Solved] Connecting to Grammarly

Post by lenwheeler12 »

How do I get Grammarly in Open Office? Sorry, but I couldn't find it myself.
Len Wheeler.

Removed mail address, floris v, moderator
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please read the previous posts.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
BeeVee23

Post by BeeVee23 »

Hi,

I actually have paid for a full version of Grammarly and would be equally keen to have a version of the plugin for LibreOffice. I can, of course, use Google's word processor to gain access to its features, but it would be nice to not have to. If there's someone with the capability to create an OpenOffice version, I would be interested to talk to them.

B
LibreOffice 6.0.1.1 on Windows 7 64-bit
xeriousone

Post by xeriousone »

Posting that the solution is not available and cannot be done is not helpful or a solution. Why mark the problem as solved if it CAN'T be solved so that everyone has to read every post in hopes of a solution. Provide YOUR statement that it can't be done in YOUR opinion based on your experiences and leave the solution open so that others might try to find a real solution.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 8.1
Smurfs and bubblegum and gummy bears Oh My!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Posting that the solution is not available and cannot be done is not helpful or a solution. Why mark the problem as solved if it CAN'T be solved so that everyone has to read every post in hopes of a solution. Provide YOUR statement that it can't be done in YOUR opinion based on your experiences and leave the solution open so that others might try to find a real solution.
Maybe your problem is different than the problem of the original poster. Or maybe the problems ares similar, but the root of the problems are different. Please create a new topic for your problem.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

xeriousone wrote:Posting that the solution is not available and cannot be done is not helpful or a solution. Why mark the problem as solved if it CAN'T be solved so that everyone has to read every post in hopes of a solution. Provide YOUR statement that it can't be done in YOUR opinion based on your experiences and leave the solution open so that others might try to find a real solution.
Elaborating on the reply from Zizi64:
The original question was "... it only works with MS office and not with open office, I would like to know why?"
The answer to "why?", in brief, was that Grammarly (the company) most likely does not see any profit in creating a plugin for a free Office suite, so they have not made one.
After LilZebra also posted the tip about LanguageTool, the original poster has confirmed that he got what he was after, and tagged the thread as solved. In this case, no forum admin/moderator was involved in determining that the thread be tagged as solved. It is not the solution you want. However, it is, according to the asker, the solution to the original question.

The thread in sum also explains - between the lines, but clear enough to everyone who can be bothered to take it in - how a Grammarly plugin might become available:
Contact the maker of the software. Tell them that you need the plugin (that the standalone checker is not sufficient), and that you are willing to pay for such software. If Grammarly gets a sufficient number of such messages, they may be willing to create the software.
robbysites

Post by robbysites »

I have not used Open Office lately. I do have version 4.1.6. I do use Grammarly on all my emails, forums, even my cell phone. I certainly hope Grammarly offers a plugin to Open Office!
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 7 64 bit Pro
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I do use Grammarly on all my emails, forums,
Are you using the Firefox and the Thunderbird as an internet browser and as E-mail client?
They will NOT use such commercial products like the Grammarly.
The Apache OpenOffice and the LibreOffice ant the Firefox and the Thunderbird are free softwares.
They have excellent language tools. We not needed a commercial one instead of them.

It is a very bad idea to make our free world work dependent on any commercial software!

Your suggestion only seems to be a bad ad for a commercial software.