6 pages collapses to 2 upon opening file

Discuss the word processor
francht

6 pages collapses to 2 upon opening file

Post by francht »

I'm really desperate. I spent most of the day modifying this file and for no good reason when I open it, it originally opens to 6 pages, and few seconds later it's only two pages. There seems to be something in the background (where you see my cursor) which I believe is the rest of my content, but nothing happens. I can't go up, down, if I press enter nothing seems to change.
What should I do? When I last saved it it had 6 pages (5 and one blank that couldn't be deleted), and I believe it still has 6 pages worth of text that's "hidden" from me. I've tried opening it in another program with no avail. H E L P . It has been a huge waste of time if I can not use this file.

Thank you. Images for clarification.

http://i65.tinypic.com/9h8bgz.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/dpk8j4/9
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: 6 pages collapses to 2 upon opening file

Post by FJCC »

Please post the actual document. To do that, click Post Reply then look for the Upload Attachment tab under the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
francht

Post by francht »

It is too large to be attached as a document. Even the jpeg's were too large
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Could you post it on a file sharing site like Mediafire, or DropBox, or Google Drive?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try deleting the images - is the text revealed?

Unzip the .odt file and extract content.xml. Open it with a text editor like Notepad. Can you see your "missing text" amongst the Xmas tags?

If not upload the file without images - it should be small.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
francht

Post by francht »

The image can-t be clicked for deletion, and the yellow and grey sections can-t be deleted either. I can delete the text but it doesn't show the bckground text
francht

Post by francht »

I have managed to open it in LibreBook, the problem appears to be the bottom of the left hand column on page one. It's stuck and it seems to be the one "hiding" all the information. By deleting the first paragraphs I can see the hidden text as it rises closer to the top of the screen. But this is extremely frustrating, I need the prior layout.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If the text is in a table cell, make sure that the "Text Flow" option to "Allow row to break across pages and columns" is checked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload the file - anything else is guesswork.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Are you using the Kingsoft/WPS cloud service with your documents? I suspect that this service "optimizes" documents, but has inferior support for documents created by other applications than MS Office or Kingsoft/WPS Office. Optimizing may run off track and mangle your documents. I haven't tried the cloud service personally, but recall similar trouble when using OpenOffice Writer with Kingsoft Writer a few years back.

If my suspicion is correct, try saving to a folder without cloud sync and see if the collapse still occurs.

When collaborating with MS Office users, Kingsoft apps clearly work better than OpenOffice/LibreOffice. It used to provide some ODF support, but AFAIK that was taken out and offered as a plugin instead.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10