Index in columns won't save.

Discuss the word processor
kphunter

Index in columns won't save.

Post by kphunter »

Hi guys

I'm trying to add an alphabetical index to a document - I'd like it to appear in 2 columns.

It looks fine, I save the file - but when I open it again, the index is in 1 column.

I've tried this several times, the index will stay in 2 columns if saved as .odt, but not as a .doc - which I'd prefer it to be.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kate.
Open Office 4.1.4 Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Index in columns won't save.

Post by floris v »

This may be the result of incompatibilities between the two file formats. You can try if LibreOffice does a better job of converting to the .doc format.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
kphunter

Re: Index in columns won't save.

Post by kphunter »

The infuriating thing is that the file in .odt is messing up the formatting of the columns of the main body of the document (not in the index page), only in a different way - when I close and reopen the file as .odt, there is an extra section break which pushes the first column over to the second, and hence everything else in the wrong place.

Initially, I saved the file as a .doc.

KPH
Open Office 4.1.4 Windows 10