[Solved] Hyperlinking a Table of Contents

Discuss the word processor
Cimerone

[Solved] Hyperlinking a Table of Contents

Post by Cimerone »

Okay so I must have spent the better part of the last two day trying to get hyperlinks to work in this table of contents index thing, read almost every thing I could find on the subject and it is still not working for me.

I am consolidating all of my favorite recipes from cook books to a writer document and I managed to make the table of contents using the Indexes and Tables page fine. However after what feels like ages of trying many different people's version of doing the same thing, I still can not manged to get it to work.

I want to be able to click a heading, and go right to that heading, wherever it may be within the document.

When I try to insert a hyperlink, I, 1) have no idea what to choose in the character style menu as no one has mentioned it that I could find and 2) it does not create links, instead it shifts my headings down one leaving another line of non clickable dots where my first heading previously was.

Can anyone please tell how to do this step by step, I am sure I am somehow missing something.
Last edited by Cimerone on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Hyperlinking a Table of Contents

Post by RoryOF »

Make a Table of Contents or if already made, right click on it and select Edit. On the Entries tab click cursor in the leftmost blank box on the Structure line and press the Hyperlink button on that tab/ Then Click cursor in the rightmost blank box (you may need to use the right arrow on the Structure line to reveal that box, if you have a highly complex structure - unlikely) , and again press Hyperlink. Do this for each level you wish to hyperlink. Press OK; your ToC should show entries as blue hyperlinks.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

Okay so for the first time the preview is showing the headings as blue hyperlinks, however when I press okay and close the edit window. the table of contents is still not clickable and has no links
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The entries on the ToC should be composed of paragraph styles Heading 1...10

Try the attached file

The hyperlink is activated by Ctrl-Click. Also, to rebuild a ToC, right click on it and select Update.
Attachments
TableofContents.odt
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

I checked and i am doing everything exactly like the example and it is still not showing up as a hyperlink
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Would you please make a short sample file and upload it, so that it can be analysed.

Did my sample file work on your computer?
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

RoryOF wrote:Would you please make a short sample file and upload it, so that it can be analysed.

Did my sample file work on your computer?
I will get a sample together real quick. Your sample file did work, which is why I am so confused.
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

Here is a sample that is also not working.

From start to finish, I have done the following:

1) Highlight headings
2) Go to Insert > Indexes and Tables > Entry
3) Then a insert a Table of Contents
4) I add the hyperlink(s)

5) Then it fails........alot
Attachments
Sample TOC.odt
(10.48 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In your file the desired entries in the text are not using Paragraph style Heading 1. Also, why are you highlighting the target entries? By using the Heading 1 paragraph style you tell the ToC that these are to be included in the ToC.

How I fixed this:

Delete your ToC

To each entry in the text you want in your ToC apply Paragraph Style Heading 1

Then insert ToC, add the Hyperlinks and you should then have a hyperlinked ToC

Because of lack of time I could not determine why simply changing the target entries from Default paragraph style to Heading 1 paragraph style and then rebuilding the ToC didn't work, but the above outlined process did.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

Seems that index entries won't get hyperlinked, only Heading Paragraph Styles.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

RoryOF wrote:In your file the desired entries in the text are not using Paragraph style Heading 1. Also, why are you highlighting the target entries? By using the Heading 1 paragraph style you tell the ToC that these are to be included in the ToC.

How I fixed this:

Delete your ToC

To each entry in the text you want in your ToC apply Paragraph Style Heading 1

Then insert ToC, add the Hyperlinks and you should then have a hyperlinked ToC

Because of lack of time I could not determine why simply changing the target entries from Default paragraph style to Heading 1 paragraph style and then rebuilding the ToC didn't work, but the above outlined process did.
This was the only way I found previously, No one really gave step by step instruction on how to add things to the table so I had to use entries since no one had explained it. how do I apply Paragraph Style headings? How do I add sub-headings to be listed in the TOC? How do I get those to appear in the TOC once I insert the table/index or does it do it automatically?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is all in the Writer manual and also in the Help file.

You may find these documents of help:

See the file referenced in this posting for an overview
Structure Instructions

This document may also be informative:
Writer for students (several languages)

Bruce Byfield's new book, Designing with LibreOffice, also covers Apache OpenOffice. It focuses on the use of styles and templates, mainly in Writer but with some info on Calc, Impress, and Draw.

A PDF of the book, and/or a zip file of the chapter ODTs, can be downloaded free from the book's website. If you prefer, you can buy a printed copy. http://designingwithlibreoffice.com

You apply Paragraph styles the same way you apply any other paragraph style - place your cursor in the target paragraph and select the desired style from the styles dropdown in the formatting toolbar. Or open Styles and Formatting (F11 key) and double click on the desired style.

You add subheadings to the ToC by formatting them using Heading 2, ... 3 ... 4 etc and changing the level in the ToC by selecting this on the Entries tab - this allows one to define a different line layout for each level of the sub-headings.

Where I have been suggesting that one use Heading 1, in fact there are ten Heading levels, and it is sometimes useful to start further down the Heading levels, but I'd suggest leaving that alone for the present.

The ToC does not automatically update - right click on it and select Edit (to alter it) and Update to refresh it with the latest edits.

The Writer for Students manual above is succinct - about 60 pages, and covers most editing.
Cimerone

Post by Cimerone »

Thank you all so much, Solved the issue and everything is working as it should.
sheldon101

Re: [Solved] Hyperlinking a Table of Contents

Post by sheldon101 »

I registered and logged in to say thank you.
When I edit the file in libreoffice and create a table of contents the hyperlinks work automatically and there is none of the blue.
When I have the same file open in open office it isn't hyperlinked.

So why not use libreoffice? I have a bizarre problem of images in my file sometime disappearing after a save and load again in both apps.

As there are about 40 images, I don't want it to happen again. So I'm editing the file, saving it and won't close until I export to PDF.

And I'm in openoffice. Your instructions work, although I hate the blue.

So thanks. A lot.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64 bit