Two fonts selected

Discuss the word processor
COKEDUDE

Two fonts selected

Post by COKEDUDE »

What does it mean when you have two fonts selected like this? It seems to ignore the second font.

Liberation Serif;Times New Roman
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
acknak

Re: two fonts selected

Post by acknak »

It means the document probably came from a web page: html supports alternate font names, where the first available will be used and the others are "fallback" options. OO Writer will accept the string as a font name, but it doesn't understand or support such strings as a list of fonts. Whether it ignores the font name altogether, or ignores all after the first, I don't know.

I also don't know whether MS Word supports such alternate font specifications; it's possible, I guess.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: two fonts selected

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.