Linking html to pdf

Discuss the word processor
martinw2

Linking html to pdf

Post by martinw2 »

I have created files in html similar to a website with an index linking
the various files. Does anyone know if these can be exported to a single
.pdf file with an internal index? I can't find a way to do this.

Thanks
Martin
RoryOF

Re: linking html to pdf

Post by RoryOF »

Are you using OpenOffice or LibreOffice? Details of which, the version and your operating system would be of assistance. With either Open or LibreOffice, try /File /Export as PDF and see how far that gets you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
martinw2

Post by martinw2 »

>OpenOffice or LibreOffice?
I tried both but all exporting to pdf does is create the single .html page and the index does not link to the other files. Maybe I am trying to do something that only can be done with expensive software such as Adobe, or maybe it can't be done.

Thanks for your reply.
OpenOffice 4.1.0
windows XP and Windows 7 and Linux mint
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you generated a hyperlinked Table of Contents, where the heading styles are applied to the Hyperlinks to the files, so that such hyperlinks are included into the ToC? A PDF should honour a hyperlinked ToC and the hyperlinks to the files. This would be a two step affair - ctrl-click on the ToC to go to the Hyperlink then ctlr-click on it to go to the file. Alternately, you could just build a list of the hyperlinks to the files and use that as the Index or ToC when you generate the PDF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
martinw2

Post by martinw2 »

>Have you generated a hyperlinked Table of Contents,
Yes the whole thing is created in .html with an index page linking to the other files - see one cell below.
----------------------------------------------
<td height="52" width="29%" bgcolor="#FFCCFF"><b><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">1.
<a href="readmefirst.htm" target="content"><font size="+1">Read me first</font></a></font></b></td>
<td height="52" width="39%" bgcolor="#E6E6E6">
------------------------------------------------
The whole series of documents were created in dreamweaver html editor. Just wondering if perhaps I should recreate them in open office, what do you think? Tried other html and office applications but every time i 'export' to a .pdf format it only gives me the current page and nothing else.
OpenOffice 4.1.0
windows XP and Windows 7 and Linux mint