[Solved] Italics not Exporting to PDF

Discuss the word processor
SkeletonJester

[Solved] Italics not Exporting to PDF

Post by SkeletonJester »

Hey! I've been working on some small D&D Side Projects and I've been running into an issue with the Italics on some text not transferring across to the PDF when I export it. This only happens with one Font in particular, but not the others. I've checked my fonts, and as far as I can tell, I have the Italics version of Bookmania (the font that doesn't seem to want to stay Italicized).

I've attached a test .odt and .pdf
Attachments
Italics Test.pdf
(64.7 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Italics Test.odt
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Last edited by SkeletonJester on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 | Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Italics not Exporting to PDF

Post by Zizi64 »

This only happens with one Font in particular, but not the others. I've checked my fonts, and as far as I can tell, I have the Italics version of Bookmania (the font that doesn't seem to want to stay Italicized)
It is a 'missing font' related problem, or related to the license of the font "Bookmania": maybe you have not permission to embed this font into a PDF file.

I have not Bookmania font on my PC, therefore the font selection window shows the name of the applied font with italics character. See my attachment. The panel of the extension 'TestFonts' shows that the font is missing really. And the look-out of the NAME of the font is very different in the PDF file and the ODF file - it is result of the automatic font substitution. The non-existing fonts will be displayed with usage other (existing) font.
Missing_Bookmania.png

Check your PC if the Bookmania font is installed or not. If not, use another (existing) font, or install it on your operating system.

If the Bookmania font is installed (exists) on your PC, then check the license of the font.
The fonts are softwares... The commercial fonts maybe not allow you to use them in a converted document (not allow you to send the fonts to others). The document files contain the NAME of the used fonts only, but not the specific font set.

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/marksimon ... nsing.html
https://www.myfonts.com/viewlicense?lid=1774

My opinion: use the really free, opensource fonts like the DejaVu font family or the Liberation fonts...
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Italics not Exporting to PDF

Post by John_Ha »

When I go File > Properties > Fonts in the PDF it shows that Bookmania Regular is embedded twice whereas I would expect Bookmania Regular and Bookmania Italic to be embedded.
File > Properties > Fonts shows the embedded fonts
File > Properties > Fonts shows the embedded fonts
This suggests to me that Bookmania does not come with an italic font file and that the italics in a Writer document are created by Windows slanting the regular font; but that the PDF document does not do this.
List of fonts - note how Comic Sans MS only has Regular and Bold - it does not have an Italic.<br />If you set Comic Sans MS to italic, Windows distorts the Regular font to simulate italic.
List of fonts - note how Comic Sans MS only has Regular and Bold - it does not have an Italic.
If you set Comic Sans MS to italic, Windows distorts the Regular font to simulate italic.
1. Check to see if you have a Bookmania Italic font installed. Remember that the font displayed in the document's Font selection box is the font the document is calling for at the cursor position. This may not be the font being used to display or print the document because, if you do not have the font being called for installed on your PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute an alternative, available font without telling you.

The Testfonts add-on is invaluable to check which fonts are being called for in a document, and which are missing and have therefore been substituted. Note that some fonts do not have a font file for, say, Italic; and in that case, when Italic is called for, Windows itself applies a slant to the font to simulate Italic.

2. If you do have Bookmania Italic installed then your Bookmania Italic is not licensed to be embedded in a PDF. Check to see if a later version of the font is licensed to be embedded.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.