[Solved] Saving File to Rich Text Format ?

Discuss the word processor
MAREK_W

[Solved] Saving File to Rich Text Format ?

Post by MAREK_W »

Dear All,

I would very much appreciate any advice and help to a problem I have.

I have been using Open Office for many years, and use version 4.1.4. I also use the Windows 10 Operating system.

I started and saved a document in Word 97-2003 format.

I then wanted to save this same file in the format Rich Text Format (.rtf).

I thought this might be straightforward.
I went to the File menu
I clicked on Save As.
In the box labelled Save As Type, I clicked on the drop-down menu, and chose .rtf.
I then clicked on Save, and thought little more of it.

I then opened the file, and found it completely blank.

Does anybody in this community know how do do this?
Last edited by MAREK_W on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office version 4.1.4, Operating System Windows 10,
RoryOF

Re: Saving Fie to Rich Text Format ?

Post by RoryOF »

My memory is that there are (and have been) problems with OO saving to RTF. I have a vague memory that there were reports of only 64K chars being saved to RTF.
 Edit: I have just checked and was able to Save and open a 33000 word plain text file (about 165,000 chars) in RTF. 1 tried with a larger file 65K words (345k chars) and that saved OK. I then tried with a 55K words file with ToC, headers and subheaders (normal book formatting)and that crashed. So ability to Save in .rtf may depend on the complexity of the formatting (read: simplicity of the formatting). 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Saving File to Rich Text Format ?

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt and some examples of where .rtf files fall short. For example, AOO does not save comments to .rtf files even though .rtf files can hold comments.
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MAREK_W

Post by MAREK_W »

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I would like to make one pertinent point, please. When I actually save the file, I want it to be changed to Rich Text Format. However, I get the screen that gives me 2 options, one to 'keep current format' and the other to 'save to ODF format'. I click on 'Keep current format'. Should I click on this option? Or should I click on the other option? Seems that whatever I do, it does not save into Rich Text Format, as I want it to. Any suggestions are most welcome,

Yours
Marek
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Of all file formats RTF is the worst one. Why do you want to save in that format?

https://diaryproducts.net/for/geek/micr ... _nightmare
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

MAREK_W wrote:Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I would like to make one pertinent point, please. When I actually save the file, I want it to be changed to Rich Text Format. However, I get the screen that gives me 2 options, one to 'keep current format' and the other to 'save to ODF format'. I click on 'Keep current format'. Should I click on this option? Or should I click on the other option? Seems that whatever I do, it does not save into Rich Text Format, as I want it to. Any suggestions are most welcome,

Yours
Marek
Keep Current format should save the data as RTF, leaving the ,odt file untouched. (It will not affect the display). If you wish to see the RTF formatting you need to use a different editor such as Notepad to edit the RTF file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

MAREK_W wrote:When I actually save the file, I want it to be changed to saved as Rich Text Format. However, I get the screen that gives me 2 options, one to 'keep current format' and the other to 'save to ODF format'.
keep current format = save as .rtf which is what you told AOO to do.

save to ODF format = save as .odt, which is what you should do.
MAREK_W wrote:I then opened the file, and found it completely blank.
Read the screen - AOO is telling you it is a bad thing to save as a .rtf because you may lose data and/or formatting from the document. It looks like you did ...
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MAREK_W

Post by MAREK_W »

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies. It seems that the .rtf format is not a good one to save to. It is just that my cousin asked me to do a proofreading in Word format first. She then wrote back to me, saying she would like the file in .rtf format,

Yours
Marek
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved]Saving File to Rich Text Format ?

Post by Villeroy »

For proof reading she could use any format including plain text. You could also send her PDF which looks exactly the same on any computer. PDF is not editable but some PDF viewers (Adobe Acrobat and others) allow annotations.
ODF (*.odt for text, *.ods for spreadsheets, *.odp for presentations) is the new and better RTF. It is well specified, very stable (hardly any changes over time), free by any means, many applications support it and your cousin could install a comparatively small ODF suite for free.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice