Restarted computer and now I'm locked out of my files

Discuss the word processor
john888

Restarted computer and now I'm locked out of my files

Post by john888 »

My computer was running very slow, so I restarted the computer, but OpenOffice 3.4.1. didn't shut down properly and now I'm not able to view, edit and save my documents normally. I get the following error message: Document In Use

Document file *.doc is locked for editing by: Unknown User

Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.

I can open a copy of the document but the program won't let me save it under the name I want, instead calling it "Untitled 1" or "Untitled 2". It also won't let me save it in the folder I want.

I use Windows 7.

Thanks for your help.

John
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1; Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Restarted computer and now I'm locked out of my files

Post by RoryOF »

With OpenOffice closed, enable viewing of Hidden files (this is done at system level - look up how to do it if in doubt; it is not an OpenOffice command). In the folder in which your file was stored, delete and files with names similar to

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt# 
Note that such file(s) will be small - perhaps a few hundred bytes, whereas the owning file will be at least 6 KB in size. Do not delete the wrong file.

Now move to the OpenOffice User Profile. As you are using Windows do this by:
Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter (they are probably already closed). Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter.
Alongside the folder User in the windows that opens you may see a file .lock. Delete that. Now restart OpenOffice and all should be well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
john888

Post by john888 »

Thank you so much for your kind assistance. I was able to delete the .~lock.MyFile.odt files. However, I'm not very computer savvy and I can't figure out how to open File Explorer so that I can copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar. Please help. Thanks!
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1; Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When, in Windows, you click on a folder name, paste the %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the line at the top of the window, then press Enter. If you are using Windows 3.4.1, as your Forum .sig suggests, replace the 4 with 3 in the line you enter.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

In Windows 7, the file manager is called Windows Explorer; it may be pinned to your taskbar as a yellow file folder icon.

If you look at this post you'll find a couple of images which may help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers