Wrap in Office Writer

Discuss the word processor
JasperG

Wrap in Office Writer

Post by JasperG »

I have two Mac computers with Open Office installed. In writer I want to insert a picture and then use "Optimal Page Wrap". On one computer I have no problem doing this, but on the other one (which has a newly installed Open Office) I can't get it. I go to Format/Wrap/ and in the next box at the top is a checked "Wrap Off", under which everything else is greyed out except "Edit" at the bottom. How do I restore the greyed out items?
Open Office 4.1.1
MacOSsierra 10.12.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Wrap in Office Writer

Post by John_Ha »

What does right-clicking the image offer?

Does this document work on both PCs?

If not fixed, please upload a small document file (eg .odt) showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type. 128 kB max here or use a file share site for larger files.
Attachments
wrap.odt
(29.48 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Sorry, I've tried but have no idea how to work that attachment doc/file you have provided.

I'm not sure what you mean by your query "Does this document work on both PCs?" The document works on both but the word wrap only works on one.

Just now I have tried using wrap on a new document and everything works perfectly. I'm totally bamboozled. Obviously from this latest attempt on a new document there is nothing wrong with Writer. It must be something I am not doing correctly. I don't know what else to tell you.
Open Office 4.1.1
MacOSsierra 10.12.3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Double click on the file in John_Ha's post and select to download and save it to disk. Then open it after downloading and see what the wrap does on both your computers - this is a way of determining if the problem is in your file or in your computer configuration..
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

On both computers the file showed a word wrap around a picture.
Open Office 4.1.1
MacOSsierra 10.12.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JasperG wrote:On both computers the file showed a word wrap around a picture.
Yes - but was the menu still greyed out on the one PC?

If it is still greyed out you may find that resetting the profile on the non-working PC helps - see Resetting the user profile.

You do need to be more precise with you comments - we are trying to solve the problem "the menu is greyed out on one PC" so we need to know which PC you are talking about and whether we have fixed it!!
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.