[Solved] Merge spreadsheet data into Writer form

Discuss the word processor
fdsverna

[Solved] Merge spreadsheet data into Writer form

Post by fdsverna »

I've created a form in writer and I need to merge some data into it.

I've created a calc spreadsheet with the necessary data.

It's essentially a mail merge - but writer wants and address block ... I don't need an address block. So I can't get past choosing the document type. Very limiting.

Anyone know how to get data merged without having to choose a letter or email?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: Merge spreadsheet data into Writer form

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
fdsverna wrote:Anyone know how to get data merged without having to choose a letter or email?
Create a new database and use your spreadsheet as its source. OpenOffice can't perform mail merge without a database.
Open the form in Writer
View → Data Sources → {database} → {table}/{query}
Drag field names from Data Sources into document
Select desired record in Data Sources
Data Sources toolbar → Data to Fields.

If you have multiple (say 3) copies of the fields in the document, you can select three records, but you'll need to tell Writer when to fetch the next record with Insert → Fields → Other → Database → Next record → {database} → {table}/{query} → Insert → Close.

Creating mailing labels using a Calc file as data base

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).