[Issue] Possible bug when underlining special characters

Discuss the word processor
.png

[Issue] Possible bug when underlining special characters

Post by .png »

Hi there!

This is my first post around here, so please forgive me if I do something wrong ;)

Due to my work, I have to use several special characters which I believe are not part of regular Unicode charts. I'm talking about things like these:

Sometimes, when writing and underlining in OpenOffice Writer, it somehow becomes crazy and underlines more text than it should, but I can't change it unless I erase those characters in that line.

In order to explain myself better, I have uploaded an .odt file — That way, you could see what I am saying.

So my question is: is there a solution for this?

(I am using OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10.)

PLEASE, VOTE MY BUG REPORT:
Issue 127584 - Special characters and underlining
Attachments
Testing.odt
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Last edited by .png on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
eremmel

Re: Possible bug when underlining some special characters

Post by eremmel »

Interesting issue. I see the same (AOO 4.1.3), but when I do not underline the space before the special character the issues does not happen. So I testes with a hard-space (non-breakable space; type Ctrl-Shift-Space) before the special character, the issue does not occur with this hard-space, so that might be a workaround.

LO 5.2.5.1 has even more issue to display this correctly.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Just opened the file attached to the OQ wizh LibreOffice V5.4.2 and got no "weird underling". The double underlining (first sample) and the single one (second sample) as well spanned exactly the TextPiece "Last time I wrote Ⓒ" . This also in print preview, in exported PDF, and in a printout on my Kyocera FS-1030D.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
.png

Post by .png »

eremmel wrote:Interesting issue. I see the same (AOO 4.1.3), but when I do not underline the space before the special character the issues does not happen. So I testes with a hard-space (non-breakable space; type Ctrl-Shift-Space) before the special character, the issue does not occur with this hard-space, so that might be a workaround.

LO 5.2.5.1 has even more issue to display this correctly.
Thanks. I've tried that... but it doesn't make me happy :lol:

I mean... it looks weird to have a bigger space, and it also produces a strange effect in the underlining... I guess this is some kind of a bug, so I would like to know if Apache reads these forums, or if there is some contact way for letting them know this is a bug.
Lupp wrote:Just opened the file attached to the OQ wizh LibreOffice V5.4.2 and got no "weird underling". The double underlining (first sample) and the single one (second sample) as well spanned exactly the TextPiece "Last time I wrote Ⓒ" . This also in print preview, in exported PDF, and in a printout on my Kyocera FS-1030D.
Let me give you the PDF version of it ;)
Attachments
Testing.pdf
(53.03 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
.png

Post by .png »

Okay, it seems I finally found a workaround:

I was thinking about eremmel suggestion, so I found this: zero-width space. So I took its Unicode number (U+200B) and I used it in AutoHotKey so I can now write a zero-width space whenever I press AltGr + Spacebar. If I do that before the special symbols (‘Ⓒ’ in the example), it seems to be solved.

Anyway, this is a bug that should be solved. I really like OpenOffice, but this is the kind of thing that needs a solution in upcoming updates.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you want to report it as a bug, [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions; developers don't appear here.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

[quote=".png""]
Lupp wrote: ... and got no "weird underling"...
Let me give you the PDF version of it ...[/quote]
Why? I did neither doubt that the issue was fact in your version AOO 4.1.4 of "our software" as you described it, nor that "eremmel" got it even worse in his LibO 5.2.5.1.

I wanted to tell you that the bug seems to be already fixed in LibO 5.4.2.

If a bug report to the AOO bug site is promising I don't know.

By The Way:
I do not want to promote LibO despite the fact that I use it for my own tasks. There are also disadvantages. And I still like the no-nonsense-UI of AOO. However, there are shortcomings, too.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
.png

Post by .png »

robleyd wrote:If you want to report it as a bug, [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions; developers don't appear here.
Thanks a lot, I'm reporting it right now ;)
Lupp wrote:Why? I did neither doubt that the issue was fact in your version AOO 4.1.4 of "our software" as you described it, nor that "eremmel" got it even worse in his LibO 5.2.5.1.

I wanted to tell you that the bug seems to be already fixed in LibO 5.4.2.

If a bug report to the AOO bug site is promising I don't know.

By The Way:
I do not want to promote LibO despite the fact that I use it for my own tasks. There are also disadvantages. And I still like the no-nonsense-UI of AOO. However, there are shortcomings, too.
I don't remember having described anything as “your software”. I just wanted to give you a PDF in order to see the problem clearly. I am sorry if that made you feel uncomfortable.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Possible bug when underlining special characters

Post by John_Ha »

The following "extended space" is most peculiar and it disappears when I delete the " C " character suggesting the " C " character is the cause.

I checked content.XML in Notepad++ and could not see any reason apart from the " C " character appears as a square. I don't know why.

I replaced the " C " character with Insert > Special character ..., and used U+00A9 and it worked perfectly - see file - although there is a slight gap between the underlines at some magnifications.

Where did you get the " C " character from?
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Testing_jh.odt
(12.13 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
.png

Post by .png »

John_Ha wrote:The following "extended space" is most peculiar and it disappears when I delete the " C " character suggesting the " C " character is the cause.

I checked content.XML in Notepad++ and could not see any reason apart from the " C " character appears as a square. I don't know why.

I replaced the " C " character with Insert > Special character ..., and used U+00A9 and it worked perfectly - see file - although there is a slight gap between the underlines at some magnifications.

Where did you get the " C " character from?
Thanks a lot for your interest in this issue ;)

1) U+00A9 is not the character I want. That is the copyright symbol. The one I use is U+24B8, which is “Circled Latin Capital Letter C”. I also use some other symbols of the Unicode “Enclosed Alphanumeric” group, such as circled S, circled E, etc.

2) As you can see in the .odt you have just attached, you kept the U+24B8 symbol in the explanation paragraph, and it is not in Times New Roman regardless what the software says. It hapens also with two other symbols I use a lot: ✓ (U+2713, “Check Mark”) and ✗ (U+2717, “Ballot X”). Sometimes, when you use several symbols like these in the same line or paragraph, with different formatting, it becomes a mess and some will look NOT in the correct font and many others will appear like an empty square.

Number 2) is another bug, of course, but I didn't find a workaround. I would say both are related. There is some problem when displaying special characters. With the first groups of Unicode (regular symbols, including the copyright one), no problem at all. With other examples, such as the ones I mentioned here, some things simply don't work properly.

Anyway, thank you very much ;)

EDIT: I have been checking some Unicode groups, and the first group that has this bug is Georgian (10A0—10FF). Previous groups (such as Cyrillic, Hebrew, Tibetan...) seem to work properly with formatting. However, the rest of the groups seem to have this bug.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The problem is quite inconsistent. Both text and the " C " are in TNR in your .odt, but changing the font has no effect.

When I place the " C " on a new line, it underlines correctly with or without a preceding and following space.

When I remove the underline from the " C " in line 1, it removes it from the remainder of the line as well. When I then underline only the " C ", only the " C " is underlined.

When I remove the underline from the " C " in line 2, it removes it from the remainder of the line as well. But when I then underline only the " C ", the rest of the line and the overshoot are underlined.

Summat ain't workin' proper!

NB - the square I get in Notepad suggests that the character is not available in the font - it looks like Courier or Courier New. Notepad++ uses UTF-8 encoding by default and if I change it to ANSI, I get " Ⓒ†".

If I copy the square and paste it into Windows' Notepad, it appears properly with both Courier and Courier New.

My head hurts ... :crazy:
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.