(Solved)Empty entries in my index, some with page numbers

Discuss the word processor
Windwood

(Solved)Empty entries in my index, some with page numbers

Post by Windwood »

Getting empty entries in my index, some with page numbers. I don't see any stray keystrokes errant headings that I can determine. Nothing shows up in the entry editor either.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by Windwood on Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Re: Index issue.

Post by RoryOF »

Three tabs after Claypool Falls entry (see the three arrows), whereas other entries have only a few spaces (see the indicator dots). This is where /View /Non printing characters comes into its own!

Ditto for Hemlock Hollow.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

RoryOF wrote:Three tabs after Claypool Falls entry (see the three arrows), whereas other entries have only a few spaces (see the indicator dots). This is where /View /Non printing characters comes into its own!

Ditto for Hemlock Hollow.
I see all that, but don't understand. Not showing any problems with Hemlock in the index. So, I guess I'm breaking a rule by using spaces and tabs in a heading? Is there a rule to know?
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Replace the tabs between Claypool Falls and its coordinates with five spaces. Ditto for Hemlock Hollow, where two tabs are used, then regenerate your index. The effect of the tabs is to lengthen the line; should you wish to use tabs, you may have to define tabs in your index columns (this is a guess).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS