[Solved] Read-error message

Discuss the word processor
VlnSecretary

[Solved] Read-error message

Post by VlnSecretary »

Help! I have a document (catalog) that I regularly make changes to: I was just in it on Monday. Yesterday I went to access it and got the message: Read-error This is not a WinWord97 file.

It is saved as a Microsoft 97-2003 document, and the size 841 KB . Why am I unable to pull this up?

Mahalo in advance!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Read-error message

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Search the forum with WinWord97 to find several posts about it.

Microsoft 97-2003 .doc dates back to Windows 97, or 20 years ago; and 2003, or 14 years ago. It is obsolete.

Your file is corrupted and you need to upload it to a file-share site so someone can have a look at it.

Be sure to read [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files so you understand why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Also, please always search the forum before posting a query as the same questions get asked again and again ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
VlnSecretary

Post by VlnSecretary »

Mahalo (thank you) John_Ha! A couple of hours after I posted my question I went into Carbonite and was able to retrieve a copy of the document from last week (yay Carbonite)! I'm a little old lady and not quite technologically adept as you young people so it took me a while to think of that option.

I'll look into saving files as .odt, mahalo for the suggestion.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Drewoa

Post by Drewoa »

I have this same error. Someone sent me a .docx document to edit. I opened it as an .odt made my changes and saved it as a Microsoft Word 95 document (.doc) (*doc) as I have always done. (I am an Open Office User for over 5 years) Now I cannot open the .doc file. I get the error message "Read error This is not a WinWord 97 File." I can open the .odt file and all my changes are there. If I return the document as a .odt file will the user be able to open it in Microsoft office?
Why is this error occurring. I have opened, edited, and saved many .docx files saved changes as a Microsoft Word 95 document (.doc) (*doc) with no issue in the past. I have opened other .odt saved as .doc files I have stored on my computer with no problem. What's up?
Apache OpenOffice4.1.3 AOO413m1(Build:9783) - Rev. 1761381
2016-09-29 02:39:19
Windows 10.1
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Read-error message

Post by RoryOF »

In haste (other things to do),; don't use Winword95. Winword97 is a better format. If the recipient does not need to edit the file, use /File /Export as PDF and send the pdf file instead.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Drewoa

Post by Drewoa »

Thanks RoryOF. I'll give that a try.
Apache OpenOffice4.1.3 AOO413m1(Build:9783) - Rev. 1761381
2016-09-29 02:39:19
Windows 10.1
Thompsol

Post by Thompsol »

I experienced a similar problem today. I created a OO text document that I imported a JPG file (photo) into and added about 8 lines of text an inch or so below the photo to identify folks in the photo. I then saved the file as an MSWord97 ".DOC" file to send email to a user of MSOffice. When I tried to open the DOC file again with OO to check it before emailing, I got the "Read error - not a winword97 file" response. I noted the file size was then 67 MB, but should have been less than 2 MB by my estimation. I tried to open it with several editors, but most wouldn't work at all. Wordpad opened it, but took a long time and the results looked like HTML code or a data file, nothing salvageable. I have now activated the automatic save option in OO & will first save my files in ODT format before saving in any other format. Closing barn after horse is gone. Frustrating & embarassing.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 64-bit on MS Surface Pro 3 Laptop