Document not opening, but "lock" temp file created

Discuss the word processor
prr

Document not opening, but "lock" temp file created

Post by prr »

The last few days, in an older version of LO, as well as the newest RC (5.3.7.1), I have seen an interesting problem--I double click on a file, and LO will not open it up at all. I look in the folder, and see that a locked temp file has been created---and when I try to open it up in another program, I am told that it can only open a read only file, because it is open in another program---yet there is no document that I can view, in LO.

Is there a solution to this?
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Document not opening, but "lock" temp file created

Post by RoryOF »

Is this happening with one particular file only, or with all files?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
prr

Post by prr »

All files---or at least, quite a few of them. Certainly not just one.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At any time, were files opened using a second monitor or a projector (logical equivalent of a second monitor)? If so, and you have reverted to a single monitor setup, LO/OO may think the files are open on the second (unconnected) monitor.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Close LO.
2. Delete all lock files in all folders.
3. Your files will now open properly.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
prr

Post by prr »

No, nothing like that at all. Just using a single laptop, no second display.
RoryOF wrote:At any time, were files opened using a second monitor or a projector (logical equivalent of a second monitor)? If so, and you have reverted to a single monitor setup, LO/OO may think the files are open on the second (unconnected) monitor.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
prr

Post by prr »

That will work, but I'd like to get LO to not do this to begin with.

Often, for what it's worth, when this happens, LO will slow down and give me a "not responding" at the top of the window where I have other LO documents.

John_Ha wrote:1. Close LO.
2. Delete all lock files in all folders.
3. Your files will now open properly.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Check if your images are linked, where pulling them, especially from the internet, may be slow; or embedded, where opening should be fast.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer including linking vs embedding.

By lock files I assume you mean hidden files of the type .~lock.fred.odt# created and saved in the folder where fred.odt is located when fred.odt is created or opened; and you are not talking about C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\.lock which is created when Writer starts.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
prr

Post by prr »

This problem exists regardless of images in the doc--and I don't have linked images in these files. Yes, you are correct, I'm talking about the first locked file, and not the one in the profile, created when Writer starts. These files are in teh same folder that the original file is located.

John_Ha wrote:Check if your images are linked, where pulling them, especially from the internet, may be slow; or embedded, where opening should be fast.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer including linking vs embedding.

By lock files I assume you mean hidden files of the type .~lock.fred.odt# created and saved in the folder where fred.odt is located when fred.odt is created or opened; and you are not talking about C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\.lock which is created when Writer starts.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Question 1. Stop LO, delete all the lock files. Now open a "slow" file, and wait until the file is properly open. Does it open OK?

Question 2. Create a new text document. Go Insert > From file ..., and pull in a "slow opening" document. Save it. Does this new file open quickly?

Question 3. Post a slow file here (128kB max) or on a file share site so someone can look at it.

Question 4. You may be causing the problem by terminating LO while it is still opening a file. Please describe each step you are taking exactly and in full detail (eg Neither LO nor Quickstarter is running. I double click on fred.odt. LO opens at ???. I wait xx seconds ...??? I then ... ???).

Please answer each question to allow diagnosis to be done.

prr

Post by prr »

Since I last posted, the only time it has happened has been when there have been links in the document that pull graphics from the web, as John suggested.

When I pasted the text as plain text and saved it as a new document, the files opened at a normal speed.

I'll wait a few more weeks and then when I'm sure, mark it as solved.

Question 1--no, even after deleting the lock files, the file in question still opens slow.

As far as John's Question 2, I couldn't find that path in LO. I have in Insert menu, but not any "from" category.

If I find one that does NOT have linked graphics, I'll post it here, but I think that is the issue--at least, from what I can tell so far.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think John_Ha's answer was based on OpenOffice. LibreOffice has changed some paths; not using it, I cannot be more specific.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

prr wrote:As far as John's Question 2, I couldn't find that path in LO. I have in Insert menu, but not any "from" category.
John probably meant Insert > Picture > From file, but LO seems to have changed it to Insert > Image.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:Question 2. Create a new text document. Go Insert > From file ..., and pull in a "slow opening" document. Save it. Does this new file open quickly?
This is intended to pull a complete document (eg a .odt file) into a new, empty document. When the new document is saved it often removed "tangles" which a heavily edited document seems to collect and the new document is much more responsive. The AOO sequence is Insert > File ..., and navigate to the file to be pulled in.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Question 2. Create a new text document. Go Insert > From file ..., and pull in a "slow opening" document. Save it. Does this new file open quickly?
This is intended to pull a complete document (eg a .odt file) into a new, empty document. When the new document is saved it often removed "tangles" which a heavily edited document seems to collect and the new document is much more responsive. The AOO sequence is Insert > File ..., and navigate to the file to be pulled in.
LO has also changed Insert > File. It's now Insert > Document.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill

I made a plea that we separate AOO and LO queries so as to prevent sillynesses like this.

AOO and LO are now different. Historically, this forum has been 99% AOO and a repository for AOO information - it is getting diluted by LO questions and answers. See How should this web site best support LibreOffice and others

It is not helped by the fact that the LibreOffice specific forum is so well "hidden" under Install, Setup and Troubleshooting. I would prefer us to offer AOO and LO with equal prominence so that LO users posted in the LO bit!