[Solved] docx opens but not enough

Discuss the word processor
pvener

[Solved] docx opens but not enough

Post by pvener »

Greetings! Using Windows 7 and the latest version 4.3.1 of OO.org, I double clicked a docx file. It sort of opens but was missing images and some things were oddly formatted. The document creator resent her file as an older version of WORD (doc type) which opens and converts fine. So if there's a wish list anywhere, it would be that we could completely open docx. Actually, I guess that the wish item would be that more people used OO.org.

Heh.

Thanks.

Edited 16 October 2017; I am going to try using Libre to open any forthcoming docx files (as suggested below) to convert to odt.

Thanks everyone who replied!
Last edited by pvener on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: docx opens but not enough

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the LibreOffice. It has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
pvener

Post by pvener »

Köszönöm, I will try that!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for the reasons, and why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
pvener

Post by pvener »

John_Ha, the issue is not working and saving in odt, but rather that most people who are sending me files, do not use nor want to use OpenOffice format. I am receiving docx files and I need to use them. If I could convert them before opening, that would be great, but I don't think that is possible.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

AOO does not support all the functions in a .docx file, and especially those not in the OOXML standard. Remember .docx files do not comply with the OOXML standard - they are a Microsoft proprietary format.

Read the tutorial (especially points 5, 6, 8 and 9) to find workarounds or buy MS Word.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] docx opens but not enough

Post by Zizi64 »

Remember .docx files do not comply with the OOXML standard - they are a Microsoft proprietary format.
Just a note:
The OOXML Standard has two verions:
- the Strict version, and the
- the Transitional version.

The MS Office supports (by default) the Transitional one (You can modify this setting in the newer MSO suites)
The Transitional version is NOT a solid standard really. The MS can change the properties day by day - without any documentation of the changes.

Use the Strict version of the OOXML standard (suggest the MSO users to use that) - if you must use the foreign fileformats.
Otherwise always use the real industry Standard: the ODF fileformats.

Here is some information, how you switch to Strinct version in the MSO:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=88791&hilit=+Strict#p417858
Word 2016:
File - Options - Save
The second option from the bottom of the list is "Strict open XML document". Can you guess which format is the very last option?

Just for clarify:
Greetings! Using Windows 7 and the latest version 4.3.1 of OO.org,
There is not yet Apache Openoffice 4.3.1 version today. The latest published version is the AOO 4.1.3.
And the Apache "developing" (or not?) the AOO now, but not the OpenOffice.org, nor the Sun, nor the Oracle.
The fork of the OpenOffice (named LibreOffice) developed by The Document Fundation. The latest versions of the LO:
LO 5.3.6 (Still), and LO 5.4.2 (Fresh)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
pvener

Post by pvener »

I'm dyslexic. I reversed the numerals 3 and 1.

I am not using and don't even have any of the MS Word utilities on my machines. It's just other people send me those. I'm an adjunct at a couple universities. Guess what they use. *grimace*

Thanks!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Guess what they use.
That is not a question: "what they use". The main question is: How they use it? Do they know anything about the OOXML Standard, and about its different versions; and about the real Industry Standard ODF fileformat???
pvener

Post by pvener »

I was using a colloquialism, not asking a question. English is my first language and I occasionally take liberties with it. Sorry about that.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Instructing the MS Word users to use the Strict Version of .docx will make your task much easier because it will reduce the functions they can use in MS Word by eliminating many of those functions AOO does not recognise.

pvener

Post by pvener »

I know this. They are not interested. Most people and institutions are quite loathe to making changes they themselves have not initiated.