[Solved] Create a Page of Numbered, Blank Paragraphs?

Discuss the word processor
GridLok

[Solved] Create a Page of Numbered, Blank Paragraphs?

Post by GridLok »

In a previous post I labelled the issue as "Numbering Does Not Continue After Pressing Return". This was a rather indirect way of asking for help in creating a document which has successively numbered paragraphs each of which does not contain any text. I need to create a page that has a format like the following:

"Text .............................................

Text ..............................................
5. "

The intention is to create a document into which I can later add text in the initially blank, numbered paragraphs.

The need arose when I went to put down information that I realised should occur item number 2. I wanted to use the numbering facility to save having to enter all characters manually; I wanted to be able to be able to press "return" (enter) to create numbered - but initially blank - paragraphs into which I could subsequently enter text … in whatever order was appropriate. I know I could do this manually, but it would be very handy to be able to use the numbering facility.

Hope I have more clearly presented my 'issue' this time.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)
acknak

Re: How To Create a Page of Numbered, Blank Paragraphs?

Post by acknak »

Create the empty paragraphs first, without numbering, then go back, select the empty paragraphs, and click the "Numbering On/Off" button on the formatting toolbar.

If you don't want the numbered paragraphs to be indented, click at the left of the FIRST numbered paragraph and press Shift+Tab. This is a shortcut for changing the numbering position, so it will apply to all paragraphs in the same numbering set.

To restart the numbering, right-click > Restart Numbering

The hitch with empty paragraphs is that Writer uses "Enter" on an empty paragraph as a shortcut for "turn numbering off". So you can either create the empty paragraphs first, then apply the numbering, or type at least one character before pressing Enter, so the paragraph is not empty.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
GridLok

Re: How To Create a Page of Numbered, Blank Paragraphs?

Post by GridLok »

Thank you, "acknak". As ever your comments make eminent sense. I fear my brain was a bowl of porridge yesterday.
"To find the right answer, first find the right question"
OpenOffice org. 4.1.4
OO414m5(Build:9788) - Rev. 1811857
2017-10-16 22:12:14 (Mon, 16 Oct 2017) - Darwin x86_64
Mac OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)