99 Problems

Discuss the word processor
cwhitley

99 Problems

Post by cwhitley »

Not really, just two but I've tried & tried to resolve them by myself & reading other stuff from this forum & haven't had any luck.

Problem 1: I've accidentally overwritten an entire chapter of my new book. Didn't have automatic backup checked. Do now but it's kinda like shutting the barn door after the horse is out. If anybody has any suggestions for how to recover it I'd be grateful. I downloaded Recuva but it didn't work. Also installed Shadow Explorer but not getting anywhere with it either.

Problem 2: My files keep getting locked somehow. This just started recently & I'm not doing it on purpose. Then when I click on the locked files, I can't open them because there's a popup saying ASCII Filter Options. ???? If I click on open I see this in one of the files, others are the same basically: Hope Whitley,Terry-PC/Terry,Terry-PC,08.10.2017 12:26,file:///C:/Users/Terry/AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4;
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: 99 Problems

Post by RoryOF »

Ascii filter options indicates your files are being corrupted, possibly due to improper (perhaps over hasty) close down of your computer. Allow a few extra seconds for all disk activity to cease when using the formal computer power down procedure before hitting the power switch or before snapping laptop lid shut.

Lost chapter: rewrite while it is fresh in your mind.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
cwhitley

Post by cwhitley »

Thanks RoryOF, but I never turn my computer off & didn't use my laptop on anything I wrote in that chapter. Maybe I'm closing OO too fast? Yes I know you're right on the rewrite. I've spent so much time trying to get out of it I could almost have done it by now. :)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hibernation of a computer with an OpenOffice file open has been reported to cause the file corruption that leads to the ASCII filter message. It is a bad idea to let an OpenOffice file hibernate.
cwhitley

Post by cwhitley »

Uh oh, I have accidentally done that some lately, thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The few seconds to Save and close OpenOffice, and even the short time to power down and restart your computer will (even cumulatively) be less than the time taken to repair or rewrite a damaged chapter (or, even worse, a damaged/lost book).
cwhitley

Post by cwhitley »

Yes, I have found that out to my sorrow. But I'm plugging away on it now. Probably be better this go round anyway. lol

Thanks again!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86742&p=406049
an extension is given to make timestamped backups. Regular backups, uniquely identified (date and time are good) are always advisable for any important work.
cwhitley

Post by cwhitley »

Yes I can see where that would be handy. Thanks!