[Solved] How to use a BOOKMARK

Discuss the word processor
neilhmurphy

[Solved] How to use a BOOKMARK

Post by neilhmurphy »

The description under HELP does not correspond to whats in my HELP. NAVIGATOR doesn't do anything. What's a boy to do? :?:
Last edited by neilhmurphy on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil H Murphy
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7 x64 pro
RoryOF

Re: How to use a BOOKMARK

Post by RoryOF »

We need more information. What are you doing, what is happening, and what to you want and expect to happen? Please give us the detail.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Double-click a navigator entry and the cursor will jump to the respective item.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
neilhmurphy

Post by neilhmurphy »

Rory: it was a large docx file but I converted it to odt. I scrolled to the part of the document and INSERTed a bookmark ARTICLE 6. Then I could find no way to access my bookmark. The INSERT dialog shows two bookmarks mine and one that I inherited. I tried HELP, but found none. I tried GOOGLE with the same result. I did find NAVIGATOR keep reading.
Villroy: I found two ways into NAVIGATOR 1) the middle of the toolbar just below the menu strip and 2) VIEW>NAVIGATOR (F5). Left double clicking the compass flashes the NAVIGATOR box and disappears. Left clicking displays the NAVIGATOR box. The clicking on the second entry in the box brings up the NAVIGATION box which has two rows. The second Icon on the bottom row is a push pin with a tooltip of BOOKMARK. Clicking on that does nothing except cause the NAVIGATION box to disappear. A close reading of what you wrote could my problem be that I have two bookmarks? You also write: "... the cursor will jump to the respective item." When I open the document I am on page 1, but I bookmarked page 90. It sounds as if the bookmark has to be on the page that is being viewed. My apologies if I have carried you too far.
Neil H Murphy
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To access a bookmark one can use /Insert /Fields /Other, then on the Cross References tab Type field, select Bookmarks, choosing your Bookmark from the "Selection" window and the Reference type in "Insert Reference to" window. This is using the Bookmark as a cross reference.It will insert a clickable field at the chosen location - I suggest turning on /View /Field shadings to help distinguish this.

Double clicking on a Bookmark entry in the Navigator will take you directly to that Bookmark location without need to insert a cross reference field - I've just tried this in a copy of Tolstoy's War and Peace and am able to jump about the 2200 pages of the .odt copy I have. Right clicking on a Bookmark in the Navigator will offer various options, including Rename.

I always have the Navigator or associated side windows displayed. In the Extensions repository is an extension to display bookmarks, this is at
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... ebookmarks

This shows the bookmark as a little triangle (same as the Comment anchor, different colour) with an associated Comment box (same colour as the anchor triangle) displaying the Bookmark name and Visible Bookmarks as the Comment Author. You can now use Navigator to move to the Bookmark either by using the Bookmarks entry or the Comment entry.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you want your document to open at the position where you closed it last time, all you need to do is this:
menu:Tools>Options>User Data and fill in your name at least. The info about last position is stored for the last editor which requires that the editor is identifyable.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For navigation about any long work in progress, I use Comments, heading each Comment with a keyword (Revise, Check, Reminder ...), erasing the comment when the task is completed. When the document is in final form all such comments should have been erased.

Note that, in any long document, it will take some little time before the newly opened document is fully navigable, as it has to do some internal housekeeping.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

When a bookmark is inserted, it is inserted where the blinking vertical cursor (aka "insertion point" cursor) is located. If you scrolled from the first page using the mouse wheel or scroll bar but didn't click to move the insertion point to the new location, then the bookmark would have been inserted on the first page.

Clicking the Bookmark icon on the Navigation bar at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar won't do anything visible. It just changes the setting so you can then use the up and down arrows on the Navigation bar to move up or down to the next bookmark.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
neilhmurphy

Re: SOLVED How to use a BOOKMARK

Post by neilhmurphy »

Thanks,
I re-installed 4.1.3 - no joy. Then I clicked on the compass (Navigator) which then produced a box with two rows. I clicked on the first icon in the second row and viola a list of bookmarks. I add a new one and it was added to the list when I clicked on it it took me to the new location.
Neil H Murphy