Goal: LABELS! Please help.

Discuss the word processor
Grannie

Goal: LABELS! Please help.

Post by Grannie »

Howdy. I'm new to openoffice. My end goal here is to print 3 inch round labels and 2 1/2 inch round labels. I have no clue where to start. I've been trying for TWO DAYS to figure this out. One problem is, there is not a template for those sizes that I can find in the Label area of OpenOffice. The labels I have are from Uline, s5046, 2 1/2 inch circle and s10417, 3 inch circles. I've tried downloading templates but I don't know where they go or how to write on them. I've watched youtube videos and they aren't addressing the process of labels that aren't already in the system. They are talking about Writer...I can't find Writer in my Open Office. I'm ready to :crazy: :knock:
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 10
Grannie

Re: Goal: LABELS! Please help.

Post by Grannie »

What I mean by I don't know where they go is once I download the templates for circles, it shows that they are downloaded, but then I can't find them.

The couple I did find, I tried to type on, but nothing happened.

How do I get to Writer? Is it "Draw"?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

The Uline web site has a link to download a template for MS Word; you can most likely use that. It seems to open and give a label sheet layout at least.

Don't be thrown off that the circles don't appear: you have to make the text fit the shape of the label manually.

Here's the page for the smaller labels:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S- ... hite-2-1-2
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Grannie

Post by Grannie »

Thank you so much. So. Once I write what I want inthe boxes, how do they turn to circles? At what point? I'll go try it now. :)
Grannie

Post by Grannie »

After I write what I want in the box, then hit "New Document" to make the writing go into all the boxes...what do I do next?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the document.
menu:File>Templates>Save....
Save a new template under some descriptive name, say "Circles"
Close the document.
menu:File>New>From Template... pick your circles template
Now you have a new, unsaved circles document. The original template remains unchanged.
It consists of a table with 12 table cells in 3 columns, 4 rows plus 12 shapes indicating the circles. The circles won't be printed as you can see in the print preview.
ALWAYS use Writer with non-printing characters visible: menu:View>Non-printing characters = ON
Now you see the 12 paragraph marks indicating the 12 empty paragraphs in the table cells.
Fill out one table cell, copy the content and paste it to the other cells.
Since you are editing a new, unsaved document you will be prompted for a path and file name when you save your work for the first time.

Next time you need a new circles document: menu:File>New>From Template... in order to start a new circles document.
 Edit: The table consists of 20 cells because there are narrow spacing cells between the cells for the actual label cells. 
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Grannie

Post by Grannie »

Thank you. You guys are helping me understand this better. Oh how the brain of an old lady struggles with technology!

The one missing step for me is this. I download circle templates from the internet, so it shows up in the right corner that it's been downloaded. How do I get that from in there, to openoffice? AND then when I have to chose label sizes, ther 3" or the 2 1/2" circle won't be in that Avery list. How do I deal with that?
Last edited by Grannie on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Your internet browser should be able to display the files it downloaded. As far as I know, all browsers use the "Downloads" folder which you can find in the file manager.
Grannie wrote:Thank you. You guys are helping me understand this better. Oh how the brain of an old lady stuggles with technology!
Well, this is the exact same stuff since 22 years. Browsers, file managers, downloads, word processing software with tables. Nothing changed since Windows 95.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Grannie

Post by Grannie »

But I've never done any of this before. :(
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Since I do not know your PC, this is one way how to open a downloaded file with the right program:
Start the program (OpenOffice).
Call menu:File>Open... or hit Ctrl+O or hit one of the icons that looks like an open folder.
Now you see a file picker dialog. At this moment I'm sitting in front of a Windows 10 PC and the dialog shows the current folder on top, the content of the current folder in the large center area and a folder list on the left side. There you certainly find a folder named "Downloads". Mine shows a blue down arrow as icon.
Click that Downloads folder.
Now you see the folder path on top and the content of Downloads in the center area.
Click the file you want to open and finally the [Open] button.
Grannie

Post by Grannie »

Awesome, thank you very much. I appreciate how you've all pitched in to help. I'll work on it and let you know how it goes. :)