Note-Ref

Discuss the word processor
indus_team

Note-Ref

Post by indus_team »

Hi,

I have created a word document using Microsoft office application and I have created a new Noteref field . When i save this docx file to doc file, the noteref field is working properly. But when i open the doc file in openoffice 4.1, the fieldcode is replaced with an error message as "Error: Reference source not found".

Do any one have idea about this issue and how to get worked?

Thanks,
indus
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Note-Ref

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation of what is happening, and for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

indus_team wrote:Hi,

I have created a word document using Microsoft office application and I have created a new Noteref field . When i save this docx file to doc file, the noteref field is working properly. But when i open the doc file in openoffice 4.1, the fieldcode is replaced with an error message as "Error: Reference source not found".

Thanks,
indus
Just to be clear, you want to refer to an existing footnote or endnote, not a reference?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
indus_team

Post by indus_team »

jrkrideau wrote:
indus_team wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
indus
Just to be clear, you want to refer to an existing footnote or endnote, not a reference?
Yes, I need to refer the footnote reference.
OpenOffice 4.1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Best I can think of is to use a cross-reference. See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=76856&p=350348&hili ... ce#p350348. I am not sure it is the same thing as the MS Note-Ref.

If you look at the rest of that thread, you will see that I am dubious of the style as a normal academic publishing style. But then, I believe footnotes were invented by a sadistic monster who then ended its successful career by creating endnotes.

jrkrideau
President Society for the Abolition of Footnotes and Endnotes (S.A.F.E.)
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I found a bug report that seems to be relevant, but it contains no suggestions for workarounds:

Issue 78920 - WW8: Cross References should be exported as "NoteRef"
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
indus_team

Post by indus_team »

Hello,

To make it simplify my request: I need to provide a cross reference to the footnotes using field values.
OpenOffice 4.1