Cannot open OO Writer bcs ASCII Filter Options appears

Discuss the word processor

Cannot open OO Writer bcs ASCII Filter Options appears

Postby res » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 pm

I cannot open OpenOffice Writer I created and yesterday and ASCII Filter Options appears that I do not change only press 'ok'. It opens other window that 'particular Document is locked up by unknown user' and I can either 'open as writing-locked' or 'to open working copy'. It does not matter which option I do press the text disappears and hash tags lines appear. other document from the same day I can open.
OpenOffice 4.1.2.
Windows 10.Home Version 1607, 64-bit-operating system
res

Re: Cannot open OO Writer bcs ASCII Filter Options appears

Postby FJCC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Your document is corrupted. If you post it here, someone may be able to repair it. After you click Post Reply, there is an upload attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
AOO 3.4 or 4.1 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby robleyd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:56 pm

See also this post discussing files filled by hash tags and possible recovery options.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby John_Ha » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:57 pm

There is no hope of recovering data from the file.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby res » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 pm

robleyd wrote:See also this post discussing files filled by hash tags and possible recovery options.

Thank you for the advice. I even have downloaded Recuva sw but obviously there is nothing to recover. At the end I got know from your entry what is the reason of corrupted document. Bye
OpenOffice 4.1.2.
res

Postby res » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi, I tried all the advices but obviusly no back-up docs, no temporary docs available. I tried with recovery sw /recuva/ as well. Nothing.
Can someone pls. recover this file for me? thank y in advance
Attachments
Kuba program.odt
(43.68 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
OpenOffice 4.1.2.
res

Postby robleyd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I'm sorry but there is nothing in the file to recover; it consists entirely of null characters.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby res » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:00 pm

robleyd wrote:I'm sorry but there is nothing in the file to recover; it consists entirely of null characters.

So is obviously corrupted. I had there Kuba travel programs with trekking, etc.so for sure many information. thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.2.
res

Postby John_Ha » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 pm

res wrote:So is obviously corrupted. I had there Kuba travel programs with trekking

Correct.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for detaild instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery. You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

There are also detailed instructions for how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer