Hashtags

Discuss the word processor
Memo

Hashtags

Post by Memo »

I have been using AOO 4.1.3 for approx. 4 months. Every few weeks an Open Document Text when opened shows 100% hashtags. i cannot find any means on the internet to retrieve my information. The data appears to be there when I examine properties of the document. Is there help? - - - Memo
Open Office 4.1.3, Windows 10
RusselB

Re: HASHTAGS

Post by RusselB »

OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Re: Hashtags

Post by RoryOF »

Memo wrote:I have been using AOO 4.1.3 for approx. 4 months. Every few weeks an Open Document Text when opened shows 100% hashtags. i cannot find any means on the internet to retrieve my information. The data appears to be there when I examine properties of the document. Is there help? - - - Memo

The hashtags usually signify that the computer has been powered off before the OpenOffice file has been written to disk. It is important to remember that files are cached internally within the hard drive and this needs power for some seconds after the operating system sends the file to the drive, to allow the drive finish its internal housekeeping and write the file to disk. So best advice is to always use the proper computer power off procedure, and wait a few seconds for all disk activity to cease before cutting the power or snapping a laptop lid shut,

An OO document is an archive of several files, which comprise author information and style information, as well as the text of the file. The ### indicate that this section has not yet been written and is not present. It is possible that there may be deleted temporary files on the disk drive. How to attempt to recover these is outlined in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files You may be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted; use Recuva or PhotoRec to look for these - they will have name such as sxygh.tmp; rename them to .odt and see if they contain some of your information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Hashtags

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.