Format

Discuss the word processor
sharlynn

Format

Post by sharlynn »

When I copy a document then paste it into a blank page it changes the original format? Any suggestions please?
4.OpenOffice 401 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Format

Post by RusselB »

Where are you copying the document from?
If it's something like the internet, then the formatting from the internet page may be included (in fact it quite often is)
What kinds of things are you talking about being changed?
Are you referring to things like the font style or size is different? If so. then it probably because the specific font isn't installed on your system, so Open Office uses a font substitution system to try to get something that is visually similar.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When you paste some text fom an other ODF type document, the paragraph styles and the character styles and the manual formatting properties will be copyed/pasted too.

If you want eliminate the original formatting properties, then you need use the "paste special" feature of the AOO/LO, or there are third party softwares for this task, like the PureText.
https://stevemiller.net/puretext/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sharlynn

Post by sharlynn »

Thank you for your prompt and helpful responses. I am trying to create an invoice/statement of fees in AOO. Initially I was trying to copy from those I had created in Word using tables. I have tried using columns however I don't seem to be able to move from one column to another, e.g.. type description of service then I am trying to put an amount in the next column. If I should manage it, then that moves things around and out of alignment. I hope I am explaining my problem adequately. Thank you in anticipation of a solution to this challenge..
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I hope I am explaining my problem adequately.
Please upload a "source" and a "target" example file here (filled-in some dummy data).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sharlynn

Post by sharlynn »

Wanting my doc to look something like this layout. I guess I am just not getting it right. When I type more text in, the header Fee Payable drops down to the bottom of the page, the figures go out of alignment. Maybe I haven't chosen the right format in which to do such a document. Many thanks for your help.
Attachments
Invoice test doc.odt
(13.22 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I believe that you need to use tables rather than a column layout. A column format is intended for columns of flowing text such as in a newspaper.

Have a look at the attached file. It is a rough attempt at what I think you want.
Attachments
2017-09-19.invvoice.draft.odt
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
sharlynn

Post by sharlynn »

Thanks for your response. Yes, I agree, tables are the better option. I thought about that after giving it all a rest yesterday.