PDF export from doc not as readable on screen

Discuss the word processor
cherpitel

PDF export from doc not as readable on screen

Post by cherpitel »

openOffice-doc.png
PDF-export.png
Hi - started using openOffice writer on my mac OS10.8.6 because it could export to PDF & now like it better than Word. However, am finding the PDFs generated not as easily readable on screen as the ODT file -- the text is lighter. How can i make the PDF text rendering as good as the ODT for on screen reading?

I am attaching pngs of a sample paragraph in Times New Roman. Have sized to be identical. The PNGs are labeled but the PDF is the lighter of the two.

Many thanks to whomever can help. - Simón Cherpitel

PS -- hope i attached these properly, as i used "place inline" button & now see them at the top of this note. However, i see from preview that they are quite reduced in size as viewed, & can only say that at full size on screen the PDF text becomes much thinner & is not as easy to read.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 with macOS 10.6.8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: PDF export from doc not as readable on screen

Post by John_Ha »

cherpitel wrote:PS -- hope i attached these properly, as i used "place inline" button & now see them at the top of this note.
Click to position the cursor where you want the image to be before clicking Place in line.

Can you please upload the .odt file and a PDF created by clicking the icon, and one created by File > Export as PDF.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
cherpitel

Post by cherpitel »

thank you for response. as requested i'm uploading the odt & pdf generated from the odt.

--as you see the text/type in the pdf is much lighter or thinner than the odt, thus making it less easy to read onscreen.

have placed the 2 docs below

when i print via printer, i always print from the odt or from the Word that i've converted the odt to, so hard copy printing is not an issue, only when reading onscreen which my readers do.

thank you. --- simón
1958-ch1.odt
(23.49 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
1958-ch1.pdf
(115.77 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Maybe it is a 'missing font' related problem, because you are using some special versions of the TimesNewRoman font family. I have not such subversions on my Windows7 x64 Prof. The extension TestFonts can show which fonts are missing, what fonts are in use in a document.
fonts missing.png

Othewrwise the fonts in the LibreOffice Writer looks lighter on my PC at same zoom level:
font lighter.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you want a heavier (but similar) font, try Georgia.

I made a quick test this morning and could see no appreciable difference between the PDF and the .odt; I'll try again later with a different PDF viewer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
cherpitel

Post by cherpitel »

many many thanks ---- i use Adobe Reader, so assume that would be the best reader --- i will try to understand the 'missing font' issue & see if that will fix & post results. I am more concerned how the PDF will look to others than for myself --- can i assume that what looks less dense to me will look OK on computers or tablets that do not have the 'missing font' issue?