[Solved] Original script font gone!!!

Discuss the word processor
mtandrews

[Solved] Original script font gone!!!

Post by mtandrews »

Hey folks, I got something I can't figure out.

I've been using OO for a few years now, and I retrieved a document that I created about 3 years ago and I need to make some changes to the document but of course I want to keep all of my heading layout and info. Well when I open the doc in OO writer it changes the original Script font is changed to some other funky looking font. I opened the font thingamajig to look for the font that I created my company name in and its not there. I guess OO changed the fonts and must have dropped it from the list for some reason. I used this font on every company document I created for my company, I even have that same script font on all of my trucks and business cards. I'm stumped!!!! I don't want to use a different font, continuity ya know.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.1 Windows 7 32 bit
robleyd

Re: Original script font gone!!!

Post by robleyd »

Does that font actually exist on the computer you are using to open the document? If not, another font will be substituted.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice uses the fonts installed on the computer; it does not embed the fonts in a document, although it remembers what was used so that it can request them. As robleyd says, if that font is not on the computer, it uses as close a fitting font as it can find already installed on the computer.

An upgrade of Windows or reinstall of it may have caused the loss of previously installed fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

mtandrews wrote:...when I open the doc in OO writer it changes the original Script font is changed to some other funky looking font.
If the font isn't installed on the computer, then another font will be substituted. A font can't be displayed if the information describing the font isn't available.
mtandrews wrote:I opened the font thingamajig to look for the font that I created my company name in and its not there.
If by "font thingamajig" you mean the Font box on the toolbar in Writer, that box shows the font name specified in the document. If that name isn't shown on the list that appears when the Font box is opened, then the font isn't installed on the Computer. That's the reason that the name would be "dropped from the list". It won't appear on the list until the font is actually installed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mtandrews

Post by mtandrews »

Thanks folks, that explains it. I got a new computer with Windows 10, my old box had Windows 7. NOW!!! How do I fix this? Is it a Microsoft deal? WTH would they drop the script font from the lineup??? Geez!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

mtandrews wrote:NOW!!! How do I fix this?!
You'll need to install the font on the new computer. If you still have the old computer, just copy it from there via a USB stick, or whatever other process is easy. Once the font is installed on Windows, AOO won't recognise it until it (AOO) is [re]started.
mtandrews wrote:Is it a Microsoft deal?
Depends on where the font originally came from - it may have been provided with some other software, or you acquired it separately from somewhere like http://www.1001fonts.com/
mtandrews wrote:WTH would they drop the script font from the lineup??? Geez!
Seems every version of Windows comes with a differing range of fonts - because they can.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

or you acquired it separately from somewhere like http://www.1001fonts.com/
...and you can search for script fonts only:

http://www.1001fonts.com/script-fonts.html

Make sure, if the downloaded and installed font contains accented characters and other special characters or not (if you needed them)

Note: if you use an "exotic" character type in your document, others will not see those characters in an editable document when you sent id to somebody. (The font will not be embedded into the OpenOffice document. The LibreOffice can embed the fonts into the ODF fileformat, and the PDF export feature of the AOO/LO can embed the fonts into the .pdf file.)
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mtandrews

Post by mtandrews »

I got it squared away via ufonts. Thanks a bunch folks y'all saved the day!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

mtandrews wrote: Is it a Microsoft deal? WTH would they drop the script font from the lineup??? Geez!
Because it locks users into Microsoft when documents don't display properly. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.