Changing text size in AOO Writer

Discuss the word processor
wdc

Changing text size in AOO Writer

Post by wdc »

Using the Table function on OO Write, I find that once I change the font size for a particular string from its normal value (say from size 12 to 14) then, I am then stuck with size 14 with all subsequent text and I have to manually change all subsequent text back to size 12. Isn't there a way I can change the font size just once and then retain the original size (say 12) for all subsequent text? Thanks. .... wdc
OpenOffice 4.1.11 for Windows in English/ W11.1 (with Chrome)
acknak

Re: Changing text size in OOWrite

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're doing/looking for, but you can try typing Ctrl+m to cancel any special formatting. Any text you type after that should use the default settings for the current paragraph.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Changing text size in OOWrite

Post by jrkrideau »

Use Styles rather than changing formatting manually.

See Introduction to Styles. The guide says 3.x but it is applicable to 4.x also.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Changing text size in AOO Writer

Post by John_Ha »

When you type, the next character picks up the font size etc from the character immediately to the left of the cursor which may be the last character of the previous line if the cursor is at the very beginning of a new line or new paragraph.

Type ladder in 12 point and then highlight " dd " and change it to 16 point. If you place the cursor after the "e " or " r ", the next new character will be 12 point.

If you place the cursor after either the first or the second " d " the next character will be 16 point.

If this does not solve it please upload a small .odt file showing the problem. If it does, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.