Create custom style/template

Discuss the word processor
HoggyDog

Create custom style/template

Post by HoggyDog »

I went to the online Writer manual, and also found a previous (June, 2017) support request thread containing a link to some templates, and neither of the "book" template links worked- they landed on a page that showed the title of the template, and an OO feather with a SourceForge icon, but clicking on the icon resulted an a SF page with absolutely zero templates. So I honestly have tried self help, but if it exists, it's well-hidden, or it uses terminology that I don't recognize as being even remotely related to what I'm looking for.

Since I can't find any "book manuscript" styles, and no "templates" whatsoever of any kind, I need to create a custom style/template/layout for my book. The manuscript is currently in Arial font. The style should do the following things:
[*]Set the base font to Times New Roman without removing existing italics or bold "decorations"
[*]Exempt the first line after a hard page break (Ctrl+Enter) from the Times New Roman font (because my chapter names use a fancy font and I don't want to change that)
[*]Set the Alignment to Justified (it's already Justified, I just don't want applying a Style to revert it to Left or centered.)
[*]Set First Line Indent to 0.5 with "Automatic" checked (this is the only way I have found to get the desired amount of indent- 0.5" is too much but when I tick "Automatic" with 0.5 set it 'jumps back' to a perfect indentation amount)
[*]Apply automatic page numbering beginning with the first page of the actual story (which is the third page of the manuscript). not the Title Page or Synopsis/Teaser which precede the Prologue

I would very much appreciate some guidance on how to do that in a persistent way- currently, the Paragraph Formatter closes and "forgets" that I have checked "Automatic" under First Line Indent, requiring me to re-open the tool I wish would stay open instead of closing when I hit "Apply" or "OK" or whatever, and then re-check "Automatic" every time I apply that format, and I have not yet stumbled on a way to apply automatic page numbering from a specified page (3) instead of from my Title/Flyleaf page. The manuscript is 500++ pages long and has 40 chapters, so formatting one paragraph at a time, or even one page at a time, is making me want to throw something through my monitor. :knock:

Another impediment to formatting my opus a chapter at a time (due to the annoying special font I used in chapter names- just kill me now :lol: ) is that when I click a selection-beginning point and hold shift then press PgDn, expecting Writer to recognize that I'm trying to select large chunks of text (like every other Windows program on the planet recognizes when I hold shift and press PgDn), Writer does not do so- it drops my selection as soon as I press PgDn :crazy: so the only way I can select large chunks is click the start point, hold shift and press Down Arrow, which is laboriously, infuriatingly, excruciatingly slow. So this is another reason why I need a template (or a script?) that can bulk-format my work.

Thanks in advance for any help that doesn't involve dead or mis-linked links.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7 x64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Create custom style/template

Post by Villeroy »

Shift+PgDown works for me.
 Edit: ... unless the document is in read-only mode 
http://openoffice-uni.org/ answers all questions.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: Create custom style/template

Post by RoryOF »

If you set Automatic in Paragraph style Indents and Spacing tab, that will set the first line of a paragraph to one em indent and disregards any setting for First line. Indents before and After text will be set.The Indents Before and After text are often used for extended quotations, to set these off from the main body text; they have other uses, of course.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS