[Solved] Turn off formating in 4.1.3

Discuss the word processor
mlp

[Solved] Turn off formating in 4.1.3

Post by mlp »

Writer auto formats and I do not want it. I just want to type and go to the next line and put things where I want. I do not want auto bullets or numbering and I want all this as the default for all documents. Please tell me how to do all this. Thanks.
Last edited by mlp on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: turn off formating in 4.1.3

Post by RoryOF »

Writer is the wrong editor for you. Choose something else, such as Notepad or Wordpad.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: turn off formating in 4.1.3

Post by jrkrideau »

mlp wrote:Writer auto formats and I do not want it. I just want to type and go to the next line and put things where I want. I do not want auto bullets or numbering and I want all this as the default for all documents. Please tell me how to do all this. Thanks.
As Rory says, "Writer is the wrong editor for you".

What type of writing are you expecting to do?

There is a big difference between writing fiction and writing code and these will be very different from a scientific article.

It also would help if we knew what Operating System (OS) you are using.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
mlp

Re: Turn off formating in 4.1.3

Post by mlp »

I am using Windows 10. I am not writing code or a scientific article. I write documents that contain lists with numbers or outlines.
What you seem to be saying is that there is no way to turn off auto bullets or numbering, is that correct?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... matting%3F

But this is like having a jet plane and using it to drive from New York to Los Angeles. Better to choose an editor that does what you want out of the box, rather than try to turn down OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You are running Windows 7 which comes with a very simple program named "WordPad". It will serve your needs. There is no need to run a professional office suite for list and outlines.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Read [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable

2. Check all the options available in Tools > Options > OpenOffice ..., Tools > Options > Load/Save ..., Tools > Options > Language Settings ..., and Tools > Options > OpenOffice Writer ..., and disable those you do not want.
Clipboard02.png
3. Check all the options available in Tools > Auto Correct Options ..., and disable those you do not want.
Clipboard01.png
OpenOffice Writer will then behave as a simple typewriter.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.