[Solved]Problem Printing Labels Paper Format in New Document

Discuss the word processor
FishFace

[Solved]Problem Printing Labels Paper Format in New Document

Post by FishFace »

After setting up my labels for printing, I select the "New Document" button at the bottom of the Labels menu and the new document is created with my label text on. Fine.
The trouble is I need to do a Paper Format to A4 before it will print because the Paper Format is always set to USER with some obscure paper size which a Canon printer does not recognise.

My question is, is there a way that I can ensure that the New Document Format always defaults to A4 instead of USER when the Labels New Document option is used?

I'm trying to set this up for a friend who is very computer unfriendly and I want to try and cut out at least one more step which would confuse them.

Thanks for any assistance.
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
acknak

Re: Problem Printing Labels - Paper Format in New Document

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Are you starting out with File > New > Labels ...? If so, when you select the label layout, it should include the paper size.

For example, on the Labels tab there, I can choose Brand: Avery Letter or Avery A4.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
FishFace

Post by FishFace »

Yes I select "Avery A4" and then the Type "L7163 Address". When I then Select New Document, the new document's paper Format is always set to USER instead of A4 which is what I would have expected.

Thank you for the warm welcome and your help.
acknak

Post by acknak »

FishFace wrote:... the new document's paper Format is always set to USER instead of A4 ...
Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot about that. It's just the (odd) way that OO Writer manages labels. This strategy assumes that the custom page size will not confuse the printer but will simply overlay the normal paper size. If that's not working out for your printing setup, you can try switching the paper size (Format > Page > Page > Paper format: A4). If that doesn't work, you may have to switch over to handing the labels manually, using a table most likely.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
FishFace

Post by FishFace »

OK Thanks for your help acknak. Plan "B" it is then.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FishFace

Post by FishFace »

Many thanks John but I've abandoned the "New > Labels" document steps in favour of using a simple template that I've created. It's easier to use and will make life a little easier for the person who I'm setting this up for.
FishFace

Post by FishFace »

[Solved] This problem has now been solved with a workaround but I'm not certain how to put the [Solved] label on.