[Solved] Weird alignment issue

Discuss the word processor
OurJud

[Solved] Weird alignment issue

Post by OurJud »

I like to use the fully justified option when using OO, but while reading through my WIP just now I noticed one, five-word line which ends one of the paragraphs, has the words spaced out so they conform to the full justification formatting.

I've tried reformatting the whole document back to left justified, but as soon as I go back to full justification this one line gets the weird spacing thing.

I've checked for rouge spaces and returns, I've even deleted the line and written it again, but even as I type it does the weird spacing.

Why is it wanting to fully justify this one line??

I understand it's only doing what it's been instructed to do, but the full alignment format should not apply when you use a return to begin a new paragraph.

Just in case I haven't been clear, this is how it looks:

--------

Rem nulla autem impedit ea eos minima hic placeat. Quis nisi quasi quia quia expedita.
Eligendi dolorem non dicta est dolorem sequi impedit. Veniam nesciunt eos recusan erd
dae corrupti dicta maiores est quae. Ea quos minima in aut voluptas cum. Ab ad animti
it..............quae.....................rerum..........................Et................... sunt

Sequi repellat ut neque. Temporibus quia quae ut vero sunt velit. Vero quidem est libero
omnis amet.

Ea quibusdam et qui ut sequi assumenda doloremque ad. Labore et libero sit quibusdam
eos architecto. Quasi sequi illum id dolorem.
Last edited by OurJud on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 (64 bit)
RoryOF

Re: Weird alignment issue

Post by RoryOF »

In the paragraph style used, on its Alignment tab, set "Last line" to be "left".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
OurJud

Post by OurJud »

Thanks, Rory, but it already was.

It's only this one line that's doing it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on /View /non printing characters and see if that line has a line feed at its end - a left pointing hooked arrow. If so, delete this and replace with Enter, which will show up as a Pilcrow (backwards P). If it already has a pilcrow at the end, select that paragrap amd type Ctrl M. That should clear any direct formatting.
OurJud

Post by OurJud »

Thanks again. It has neither a line feed nor a pilcrow at its end.

All the other paragraphs end lines have the pilcrow, but not this one.

If I press enter at the end of the faulty line, the spacing is removed, but then I have a double line before the new paragraph that can't be deleted.

Control M on that paragraph just swaps to the default font and size, but the weird spacing remains.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
OurJud

Post by OurJud »

Now resolved.

With my cursor at the start of the faulty line, I couldn't delete or backspace to a point before it.

In the end I removed the gremlin by highlighting the last word of the faulty line, down to the first word of the new paragraph below, and hitting delete. I was then able to retype the deleted words and insert a new paragraph without the weird alignment issue.
RoryOF

Re: [SOLVED] Weird alignment issue

Post by RoryOF »

What you describe is most probably caused by a linefeed; the left pointing hooked arrow denoting it is not very obvious and it is possible that on your display you overlooked it. A line feed can be be entered by typing shift enter; this sometimes happens if an enter key is pressed offcentre, so that the finger touches also the shift key below it.
OurJud

Post by OurJud »

RoryOF wrote:What you describe is most probably caused by a linefeed; the left pointing hooked arrow denoting it is not very obvious and it is possible that on your display you overlooked it. A line feed can be be entered by typing shift enter; this sometimes happens if an enter key is pressed offcentre, so that the finger touches also the shift key below it.
I'm not doubting you are correct about the issue being a line feed, but I can assure you the marker was not there.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OurJud wrote:
RoryOF wrote:What you describe is most probably caused by a linefeed; the left pointing hooked arrow denoting it is not very obvious and it is possible that on your display you overlooked it. A line feed can be be entered by typing shift enter; this sometimes happens if an enter key is pressed offcentre, so that the finger touches also the shift key below it.
I'm not doubting you are correct about the issue being a line feed, but I can assure you the marker was not there.
Did you look in the right margin? When text is justified, the linefeed marker is initially directly after the text, but it moves to the right margin after a space is typed in the line.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
OurJud

Post by OurJud »

Bill wrote: Did you look in the right margin? When text is justified, the linefeed marker is initially directly after the text, but it moves to the right margin after a space is typed in the line.
I've slept since then and don't remember to be perfectly honest. All I can tell you is that when I was initially asked to look for these markers, I could not see it.