Converting from odt to pdf margins change

Discuss the word processor
kwhager

Converting from odt to pdf margins change

Post by kwhager »

When I create my odt document it prints perfectly.

When I export it as pdf and print the pdf version the margins change.

Yes, I have made sure they are both "letter" size.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Windows 10
acknak

Re: Converting from odt to pdf margins change

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

You might check the settings on your pdf viewer: it may be shrinking the full-size pdf output to fit on the printer's printable area.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Same problem here.

If I make a pdf by 'print to pdf', all the margins change. There is margin added.
This document will print at an external printshop.

If I make a pdf by 'export to pdf' all the margins are o.k.
However this document will not print at an external printshop.
There seems to be a bug with permissions.
Printing is not permitted though the document has all permissions deactivated.

urgent problem - publisher's deadline tomorrow

Thanks!
Open Office 3.1.4 on MAC OS sierra 10.13.4
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload a one page example .odt file with the problem and the PDF you created from it. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max) or use a file share site for a larger file(s).
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If I make a pdf by 'print to pdf', all the margins change. There is margin added.
Check the page size of the ODF document in the Office Suite and the page size settings of your PDF printer software. You must use same settings in these two softwares.

What is the name of the PDF printer software that you are using?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Thank you Tibor. I just use 'export to pfd' or 'print, pdf' in open office, then open the pdfs in adobe acrobat to insert crop marks for the publisher. Then I sent them to 2 different printshops - they use acrobat. Both reported a permissions problem with the 'export to pdf' file. The 'print pdf' file could be printed, but has this added nargin problem. Extra margin is added to the right of every page. I kopied the text into a new oo file as suggested, and again made 2 pdfs. Now unused fonts for private use were no longer embedded, which is good. I also unchecked a box that was previously checked, I think it was 'forms'. This seems to solve the added margin issue, but I have to repeat this to make sure.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Thank you Tibor. I just use 'export to pfd' or 'print, pdf' in open office,
The "Print, PDF" (File - Print - and then Choosing a virtual PDF printer) is not a built-in feature of the OpenOffice. The virtual PDF printers are third party softwares. I have installed the 'PDF Creator'.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Thank you! I think I remember I deinstalled pdf creator in a trial and error to solve the permission problem for the export-to-pdf. File>print>pdf seems to work fine now though, and the margins are now o.k. I don't yet know about the permissions for the 'export to pdf file'. It may have been the private use fonts that were still embedded that caused that problem. They are gone now. It did print at my own printer, but not at the printshops. (One eventually succeeded in printing from 'preview' on a Mac. ) Tomorrow I'll know if the file>print>pdf is o.k. & printable.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

think I remember I deinstalled pdf creator in a trial and error to solve the permission problem for the export-to-pdf. File>print>pdf seems to work fine now
There is not File - print - pdf menu item in the windows version of the AOO. It works with third party virtual pdf printer softwares only. This dialog box will be appeared, when I click on the Fole - Print menu item. You must choose a physical or virtual "Printer" in this dialog. And the printer softwares/drivers are third party softwares.
PDF_printers.png
But there is a PDF export function embedded... File - Export as PDF.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Never forget that AOO on a Mac works differently to Windows. Creating a PDF with File > Export to PDF..., uses one method while clicking the PDF icon uses a different method.

I forget which is which but different PDF levels (1.3 and 1.4?) are created. One uses AOO; the other uses the inbuilt MACOS PDF creator.

Until you upload a example .odt file and the PDF you create from it everything is guesswork.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
paula123

Post by paula123 »

The export option has the permissions issue: printing is not allowed. (Maybe it was the font - I don't know yet).

The 'file>print>pdf' does have a 'save as pdf' option in the MAC version that I use. It doesn't ask for a virtual printer.

I could not repeat the described proces to eliminate added margin at the right of the page. I must have done something to eliminate them but what..? Just as a comfort to others who have the same problem: the print>save pdf can work as it should..
Schermafbeelding 2018-08-20 om 10.49.08.jpeg
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

@Zizi64: Paula123 indicates that she is on OS-X, where print-to-pdf is integrated in the printing section of the operating system. She also indicated that export has been tried (hers is not the initial post in this thread, I missed that at first and suspect that you went in the same trap :-) )

@Paula123
: Good to see that you got the issue resolved, randomly as it were.
My best bet would be on the PDF export. When you get the export options dialog, tick the "PDF/A-1a" item in the General/General section, and untick everything else. Some PDF functionality is lost (online editable form fields, links, stuff you don't need for printing), and fonts should be embedded. Close the window (also preview window if opened) before you take the file to printing (email, USB-stick, etc), to avoid any locks on filesystem level.

Print to file works well in many cases, but I get in trouble whenever I try to adjust page size different from the default, so I have more or less abandoned that in OpenOffice. Rarely use external print services, so I have little experience with your issue. If you must use the print-to-file feature, you can try to set the default page size in Settings - Printers. Not sure whether you find the pdf settings there (not at a Mac right now), you may need to look elsewhere. Otherwise I am at a loss. Other helpers here use Mac as their main platform and may be able to assist you in time for your deadline.
Last edited by keme on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

paula123 wrote:The 'file>print>pdf' does have a 'save as pdf' option in the MAC version that I use. It doesn't ask for a virtual printer.
That uses the built-in Mac PDF Virtual Printer. Check the settings in the Virtual Printer when it opens.

It is a completely different and third method of creating a PDF, different from File > Export as PDF, and different from clicking the PDF icon.