New Versions of Files Lost

Discuss the word processor
asherblackfoot

New Versions of Files Lost

Post by asherblackfoot »

Hi.
I got a new laptop about a week ago and have been having a lot of problems with missing files. Numerous (saved) recent versions have gone missing, and I can't quite remember now, but I think whole files have disappeared also. The company that sold me the computer told me to reinstall openoffice, which I did, but that has not solved the problem.
There may be similar problems with how google drive sync is saving files, but I suppose it is probably the same issue.

Would greatly appreciate some help, especially because if the computer is defective, (it is a Lenovo Ideapad), I only have another week to return it.

Thanks so much for your help. :D

Asher
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
RusselB

Re: New Versions of Files Lost

Post by RusselB »

Your saved files should not be affected by the installation/uninstallation/reinstallation of Open Office.
Did you look in the default save path as listed in Open Office? You can check what that pathway is by starting any component of Open Office, then going to Tools -> Options, then looking under OpenOffice -> Paths
The default path for saving files will be listed under the Type of My Documents

There have been reported problems with using Google Drive in Sync mode, and having the files be moved to Google Drive, rather than being synced with Google drive, though most (if not all) of the reports I've seen regarding this have been associated with devices running an Android OS.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

I found the path table and didn't see anything unusual. Maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but most of the time the file is saved in the place I opened it from, however there have been a number of times the past week or so that recent versions of files just don't show recent changes. Also there are about 15 files written around the beginning of June that are gone now. They were written on my old computer but aren't there now. If there is anything you can do to help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Asher
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

How did you transfer the files from the old computer to the new one?
If you used a flash drive (USB), then the files you transferred might still be on the flash drive, or recoverable from the flash drive.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

Yeah I checked that, but I am more concerned about it happening in the future, I mean, sometime between mid-June and early August I lost at least 15 files and I didn't even realize it.
I had dropbox at the time, but the entire file is missing, so there is no way to check for old versions. And it wasn't in deleted files.
Have you heard of this being a problem with Open Office?
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

While I haven't heard of this happening with Open Office, I would like to share some information with you, noting as how you mentioned you had Dropbox.
I use Dropbox on a regular basis, and you can access files that have been saved to Dropbox, even if those files have been resaved using the same filename.
When you access a file on Dropbox, they make a snapshot of the file, which can then be opened/downloaded from Dropbox.
You have to access your Dropbox account via the website (dropbox.com), not your linked directory in order to access the snapshot(s) of the file(s).
Thus the files that you mentioned when you had Dropbox are still available via the dropbox website.
asherblackfoot

Post by asherblackfoot »

I don't see the file there, it doesn't show up, so there are no old versions. Or is there some other way, because the files are not in deleted files on Dropbox either.
Windows 10
Office 4.1.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Could someone else have access to your computer?
Have you scanned your machine in case there is a malware?
Deleted files are only OpenOffice files?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use the Search facility in Windows 10 and search for *.odt (or *.doc etc) - you will find the files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.