How to speed up saving file with large linked images?

Discuss the word processor
chewywater

How to speed up saving file with large linked images?

Post by chewywater »

I have a file that takes around 30s to save.
The file has around 10 images in it that are around 1MB each.
The images are linked, not embedded, and I typically set writer to not display the images so that I can edit quickly ( tools>options>libre writer>view>Display>uncheck images and objects.)

I've verified that it's the size of the images that is causing the slowdown: if I point the links to smaller images the save goes quickly.
So yes I can do a workaround where I have another directory with low res files, and then switch to the hi-res directory when I'm at the end of the project. However, it seems odd to me that images that are just references (links) should cause such a slowdown.

Questions:
Is this behavior normal?
Is there a way to speed up the saving of files with large linked images, without having to do weird workarounds?

thanks.
Libre Office Version: 5.4.4.2
Build ID: 1:5.4.4~rc2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1~lo1
Processor: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz
Memory 2 Gig
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How to speed up saving file with large linked images?

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

That being said, if the images are definitely linked, and not embedded, the file should save quickly.

Can you upload the file so someone can look at it - you would need to give the names of the images to which the document links. If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every alphabetic character to an " x ", and every digit to an " n " with

Edit > Find and Replace
Tick Regular expressions (under More ...)
Find box [:alpha:]
Replace box x
click Replace all
and
Find box [:digit:]
Replace box n
click Replace all

The limit here is 128kB, or use a fileshare site like mediafire for larger files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I created a file with 10 images, each image being a JPG file of about 1.5 MBytes, and inserted by Insert > Picture > From file ..., where I ticked Link.

The file has just a few words and saves in a fraction of a second. It is a test version of AOO 4.1.4 Release Code 2.

Q1. How big (Bytes) is the .odt file?

Q2. Are you sure the images are linked and not embedded?

Q3. Is you disk very full so you have almost no free space left and you need to page?

Q4. Have you run out of memory?

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Using the same version of LO on LInux, I saved a new Writer document with 3 linked pictures (~4 MB) and menu:File>Properties... reports a few kilobyte for that document.

If you move away all the pictures, any picture that is still shown must be embedded.

Scrolling is slow because all the bytes are rendered one way or the other. You can tell the program to not render the pictures and show placeholders instead. Tools>Options>Writer>View>Images=Off
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is the OP's file being saved to a network location or a USB external drive?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

if the images are definitely linked, and not embedded, the file should save quickly.
OK. I thought so. Thank you.
Can you upload the file so someone can look at it?
I'll try to get a file up later today that's free of anything private.
Q1. How big (Bytes) is the .odt file?
7.8MiB, 163 pages.
Q2. Are you sure the images are linked and not embedded?
Yes. They all show up in the list in edit>links, and if I modify those references to images with lower resolution the problem disappears.
Q3. Is you disk very full so you have almost no free space left and you need to page?
It's the CPU that's spinning: When I save, the loading bar shows up on bottom of the window and looks like it's done in seconds, then mouse pointer turns to clock, and CPU spins for 30s or more. Then CPU drops back down and clock-cursor goes back to normal.

Drive is a 32Gig Thumb thumb drive, 50% full.
Plenty of RAM free.

Q4. Have you run out of memory?
No.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll do a few more experiments and try to report back here later today.
Memory 2 Gig
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This extension may be worth investigating. It allows the images be replaced by placeholders
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... infoframes
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

PLEASE DISREGARD THE UPLOAD IN THIS POST, GOOGLE DRIVE IS CONVERTING AND MANGLING THE FILE. WILL REPOST WITH INTACT FILE.
APOLOGIES AGAIN EVERYBODY.
OK I've uploaded a file. I recreated the problem from scratch by making a new file and linking to the same large image 8 times. Here is the file and and the image if someone wants to test it on their system.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Note
I just upgraded writer to
Version: 5.4.0.3
Build ID: 1:5.4.0~rc3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1~lo2

Problem persists.

I tried moving all the files over to an internal hard drive, problem persists.

thanks folks.
Last edited by chewywater on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory 2 Gig
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This looks to be a cross between a docx and an odt file. Too late in my day to sort out such a problem now.
 Edit: I'm waiting for another process to finish so took a few minutes to look at his. I made a new (genuine) .odt file, with 8 copies of your large image, all slightly different size. The .odt file was 8.4 MB and saved in 1 - 2 seconds to a local SSD drive. 
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

Sorry RoryOF, Google drive was doing file-conversions on upload and download. I'll repost when I have the files up and intact.
Memory 2 Gig
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

OK. I've attached the offending odt file to this post.
The image that goes with it can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_45RI ... sp=sharing

If someone wants to take a look I'd appreciate it.

RoryOF Thanks for doing the test. On my end it's looking like any large png will reproduce the problem, and the more links to that png in the file, the longer the save. So I'm thinking it's either the odt file itself or something on my system. Hopefully the file I've attached here is intact.
Attachments
newFileLinkedImageNoText.odt
(28 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Memory 2 Gig
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your latest linked file is saving across network to a NAS storage (regular hard disks) on my computers too fast to measure. The links are to the images on the local SSD.
 Edit: Note that I am using OO 4.1.4 RC2 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (64 bit) 
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I downloaded your newFileLinkedImageNoText.odt file and image. I opened the file and the images were visible. I added a few words of text to force a completely new save.

Save took a fraction of a second on W7 AOO 2 x 2.6 GHz, SSD.

When I unzipped the .odt file, content.xml looks very good - it seems very clean and neat.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<office:document-content xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0" xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0" xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0" xmlns:table="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:table:1.0" xmlns:draw="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0" xmlns:fo="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:xsl-fo-compatible:1.0" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:meta="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0" xmlns:number="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:datastyle:1.0" xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0" xmlns:chart="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:chart:1.0" xmlns:dr3d="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:dr3d:1.0" xmlns:math="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" xmlns:form="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:form:1.0" xmlns:script="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:script:1.0" xmlns:ooo="http://openoffice.org/2004/office" xmlns:ooow="http://openoffice.org/2004/writer" xmlns:oooc="http://openoffice.org/2004/calc" xmlns:dom="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events" xmlns:xforms="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:rpt="http://openoffice.org/2005/report" xmlns:of="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:grddl="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#" xmlns:tableooo="http://openoffice.org/2009/table" xmlns:textooo="http://openoffice.org/2013/office" xmlns:field="urn:openoffice:names:experimental:ooo-ms-interop:xmlns:field:1.0" xmlns:loext="urn:org:documentfoundation:names:experimental:office:xmlns:loext:1.0">
	<office:scripts/>
	<office:font-face-decls>
		<style:font-face style:name="OpenSymbol" svg:font-family="OpenSymbol" style:font-charset="x-symbol"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="FreeSans1" svg:font-family="FreeSans" style:font-family-generic="swiss"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="DejaVu Sans Mono1" svg:font-family="&apos;DejaVu Sans Mono&apos;" style:font-family-generic="modern" style:font-pitch="fixed"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="DejaVu Sans Mono" svg:font-family="&apos;DejaVu Sans Mono&apos;" style:font-adornments="Book" style:font-family-generic="modern" style:font-pitch="fixed"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="Liberation Mono" svg:font-family="&apos;Liberation Mono&apos;" style:font-family-generic="modern" style:font-pitch="fixed"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="Liberation Serif" svg:font-family="&apos;Liberation Serif&apos;" style:font-family-generic="roman" style:font-pitch="variable"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="Liberation Sans" svg:font-family="&apos;Liberation Sans&apos;" style:font-family-generic="swiss" style:font-pitch="variable"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="Liberation Sans1" svg:font-family="&apos;Liberation Sans&apos;" style:font-adornments="Regular" style:font-family-generic="swiss" style:font-pitch="variable"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="DejaVu Sans" svg:font-family="&apos;DejaVu Sans&apos;" style:font-family-generic="system" style:font-pitch="variable"/>
		<style:font-face style:name="FreeSans" svg:font-family="FreeSans" style:font-family-generic="system" style:font-pitch="variable"/>
	</office:font-face-decls>
	<office:automatic-styles>
		<style:style style:name="P1" style:family="paragraph" style:parent-style-name="my_20_outlines" style:master-page-name="my_20_page-style_20_for_20_notes">
			<style:paragraph-properties style:page-number="auto"/>
		</style:style>
		<style:style style:name="fr1" style:family="graphic" style:parent-style-name="Graphics">
			<style:graphic-properties style:vertical-pos="top" style:vertical-rel="baseline" style:mirror="none" fo:clip="rect(0mm, 0mm, 0mm, 0mm)" draw:luminance="0%" draw:contrast="0%" draw:red="0%" draw:green="0%" draw:blue="0%" draw:gamma="100%" draw:color-inversion="false" draw:image-opacity="100%" draw:color-mode="standard" style:flow-with-text="false"/>
		</style:style>
	</office:automatic-styles>
	<office:body>
		<office:text text:use-soft-page-breaks="true">
			<text:sequence-decls>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Illustration"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Table"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Text"/>
				<text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Drawing"/>
			</text:sequence-decls>
			<text:p text:style-name="P1">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image1" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="0">
					<draw:image xlink:href="../large.png" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad"/>
				</draw:frame>
			</text:p>
			<text:p text:style-name="my_20_outlines">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image2" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="1">
					<draw:image xlink:href="../large.png" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad"/>
				<text:soft-page-break/>
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image3" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="2">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image4" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="3">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image5" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="4">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image6" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="5">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image7" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="6">
				<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image8" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="171.45mm" svg:height="122.85mm" draw:z-index="7">
			<text:p text:style-name="my_20_outlines"/>
			<text:p text:style-name="my_20_outlines">fred</text:p>
		</office:text>
	</office:body>
</office:document-content>

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chewywater wrote: It's the CPU that's spinning: When I save, the loading bar shows up on bottom of the window and looks like it's done in seconds, then mouse pointer turns to clock, and CPU spins for 30s or more. Then CPU drops back down and clock-cursor goes back to normal.

Drive is a 32Gig Thumb thumb drive, 50% full. Plenty of RAM free.
That is interesting. I know that, when I save a large file to a Network Attached Disk, nothing even starts to get written until the bar has finished crossing the screen.

I have a 15 MByte file with just text (360,000 words) and it takes 20+ seconds to save to my SSD.

If you delete the images, how long does it take to save just the words?

Could it be a USB problem? USB 1 is very slow though I expect you are using USB 2 or probably 3. How long does it take to save to your hard drive?

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried using embedded images - again, saving across the network, too fast to time.
 Edit: There are reports of slow writes on linux to USB devices; this speed may be improved by adjusting the mount parameters, but the cures seem to depend very much on the actual case in question. 
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A general remark: it is appropriate to point out that experience on Forum indicates it to be unwise to work direct to a USB stick; if a USB stick is removed without observing the correct removal protocol the file can be damaged irreparably. Also, perhaps now not as often occurring, in the early days of USB sticks there were inexplicable failures, again resulting in total loss of the contents of the USB stick. Such failures may still occur, particularly with older USB stcks.
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

Your latest linked file is saving across network to a NAS storage (regular hard disks) on my computers too fast to measure. The links are to the images on the local SSD. . . I tried using embedded images - again, saving across the network, too fast to time. .
Thanks for doing this check.
A general remark . . . unwise to work direct to a USB stick;
I didn't know this. Thank you. I haven't had any problems yet (unless this is one) probably because I follow protocol. I'll consider changing my setup though.
There are reports of slow writes on linux to USB devices;
If I move the files to the internal hard drive, the problem persists, so I think that rules out problems with writes to USB.
I added a few words of text to force a completely new save.
Save took a fraction of a second on W7 AOO 2 x 2.6 GHz, SSD.
Thanks for checking.
When I unzipped the .odt file, content.xml looks very good
Good. OK that rules out a screwy file for now.
If you delete the images, how long does it take to save just the words?
Without images, save is very fast. Also the lower the resolution of the images, the faster the save.
Could it be a USB problem? USB 1 is very slow though I expect you are using USB 2 or probably 3. How long does it take to save to your hard drive?
Working off an internal hard drive is just as slow. The problem is exactly the same. I think USB has been ruled out as the problem.

Thanks again RoryOF and John_Ha for investing your own time in helping me. I really appreciate it.
  • **** At this point the following hypotheses have been ruled out *****
  • Something strange about the png being linked to. (because any large png causes the problem)
  • Something wrong with the content.xml, messed up odt file. (because looks healthy to others)
  • The thumb drive/USB issues. (because working off my hd yields same problem).
  • Out of ram (because I have plenty of ram left.)
     Edit: 
    [*] Out of space on Drive (because my internal and USB drives both have >15GB left)
     Edit:  

OK. It looks like no-one else can reproduce this, so the problem is on my system somewhere. I'll try to do a few more experiments and report back when I learn something.
Last edited by chewywater on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Memory 2 Gig
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps memory limitation - my Xubuntus are all 4 GB. Also, I suggest making a Live DVD of Xubuntu, running that and seeing if the Save is as slow.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

One final test.

Create a new user on your PC and install AOO for that user only (it prevents AOO grabbing LO's ownership of .odt files etc). Does it now save OK? If so, it is a problem with LO.

skullboy
Banned

Post by skullboy »

Thanks @John_Ha, the help your provided fixed my own issue, i really appreciate and my first time here.
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please post what was causing the problem as it will assist others searching, and allow us to suggest it as a potential solution to other posters with similar problems.

chewywater

Post by chewywater »

Some new Data about my problem.
It appears the problem has to do with the pixel width and height of the image, NOT with the file-size in MB.
I can link to an 8 MB image, and if its width and height are small enough, I can save the file in seconds.
However, a 300k image that is 10k pixels on a side will cause save to take 30s or more (cpu spinning). Opening the odt file also is slow (cpu again). And I notice that when I place the offending images in the document the cpu spins too. The more links I have in the file to that image, the more the cpu spins while saving.

I've made a few images whose widths and heights are very large, but whose storage size is small. They are linked below.
If anyone wants to try to reproduce my problem:
  • download one of the images listed below
  •  Edit:  run Libre Office Writer (Open Office Writer doesn't have the same behavior)
    [*]tools>options>writer>view>turn off display of images.
    [*]open a new writer doc,
    [*]link to one of the pics (I've been doing this with ctrl-shift-drag), and then
    [*]copy that linked pic multiple times.
    [*]Try to save the file. Let me know if there's an image large enough, copied enough times, that sets your cpu spinning when you try to save. 
5k pixels per side 82k
10k pixels per side 309k
20k pixels per side 1MB

Note:
Some of your suggestions above I haven't got to yet. Will try soon, hopefully sometime tomorrow.
 Edit:  note that it also looks like I was wrong about the image not being part of the problem. It took me a while to wind up with two pngs with equal storage-sizes, one of which caused the problem and one of which did not, 
Last edited by chewywater on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory 2 Gig
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

One 10k x 10k pixel PNG image added four times as described above. The file saves in a fraction of a second.

Note: when embedding the identical image file more than once, AOO stores it only once, even if the images are scaled to different sizes in the document. When linking, as in this case, the file is, of course, not stored in the .odt file.

Please install a test instance of AOO for a new user on your PC and check - I am now pretty certain this is an LO problem and not an AOO problem.

Have you tried asking on the LO forum at Official LO forum?
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be worth pointing out that often images are inserted into Writer documents at unnecessarily high resolutions; There is, in normal circumstances, no need to insert an image to print at any resolution greater than 180 dpi (210 dpi for finest work). On a printed page, at normal viewing distance, the eye can not resolve finer than that.
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

Thanks for running the test John_Ha
Yes. Later today I'll compare LO to AOO and report back. (And yes I'll hit ask.libre and see what they say).
Memory 2 Gig
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Another thought. Reset your user profile - see Resetting the user profile

chewywater

Post by chewywater »

John_Ha wrote:Another thought. Reset your user profile - see Resetting the user profile
I made a new user account and ran libre from there (which i assume gives me a fresh profile under that account).
The problem persists. So I don't think that's it.
I should be able to get on a windows PC this evening and do some comparisons between LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
Memory 2 Gig
chewywater

Post by chewywater »

New Data. Found a windows 7 pc, installed latest libre office, and reproduced the problem there. That pc handled the problem a little better because it's cpu is 10x as powerful, but the behavior is the same. It just took more copies of the 20kpx image to make it sit there and spin.

Tomorrow I'll install open office and see if there's a difference.
Thanks for the input folks.
Memory 2 Gig
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

chewywater wrote:I made a new user account and ran libre from there (which i assume gives me a fresh profile under that account).
Probably. Check - the Recently used files list should be empty. If not, refresh the profile or, as a minimum, stop AOO and delete C:UsersxxxxxxAppDataRoamingOpenOffice4userregistrymodifications.xcu". Restart AOO.

chewywater

Post by chewywater »

Finally tested a fresh install of AOO on a windows 7 machine. Behavior is different than Libre but still odd.
Turned off display of images.

TEST1
Ctrl-shift-dragged an image of dimensions 5k pixels X 5k pixels into a new document. Copied it a bunch of times.
Saved it without incident.

TEST2
Ctrl-shift-dragged an image of dimensions 5k pixels X 5k pixels into a new document.
Edit>links>modified the reference to point to an image of dimensions 10kpx X 10kpx
Got a popup that says:
fatal exception
bad allocation

After which AOO exited immediately.

TEST3
Ctrl-shift-dragged an image of dimensions 20k pixels X 20k pixels into a new document.
Result: writer placed a path to the image in the document (not a linked image, ie the list in edit>links was empty).

So. There's weirdness with open office as well as libre office. But it's a slightly different kind of weirdness.

At this point I'm going to focus on Libre, because that's what I usually run. I've already asked a question at the askLibre site https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... ed-images/. Haven't got much in the way of responses. I'll go check out their mailing list next.
Meanwhile if anyone is trying to reproduce the problem please run Libre.
Memory 2 Gig