[Solved - Can't] Mail merge with photos

Discuss the word processor
mjvjr

[Solved - Can't] Mail merge with photos

Post by mjvjr »

Why do the photos that I insert inline into a Text document
not get included in the email with email mail merge?
Am I doing something wrong, or is this not supported?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
acknak

Re: mail merge with photos

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

As I recall, it's a limitation of OO's supported merge document format.

The only kind of formatted email OO can generate is html. Standard html manages images by linking to them: the actual html document does not contain the image data; it has to be accessed remotely when the document is displayed.

So you can host the image on a public web server somewhere and link to it from your merge document, but you can't create/send a standalone merge document.

You might try LibreOffice; they've extended their html support to include embedded images. I don't know for sure that it works with mail merge, but it might be worth investigating.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mjvjr

Re: mail merge with photos

Post by mjvjr »

Thanks much. That all makes sense. Since I have my own web site, I can post my photos there and link to them. Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved - Can't] Mail merge with photos

Post by Villeroy »

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pro ... rt-builder allows you to create database reports with pictures. Database reports generate Writer documents or PDF. This extension is integrated in LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good point. Merge, or database reports, are pretty good at generating documents. OO is quite basic at merging to email. If you need more features, you may want to look into software designed for generating emails.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I forgot about the mail problem. Any type of report is one multi-page document. There are tools to split PDF into pages and there are other tools to merge mails with attachments.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice