[Solved] Printing problem

Discuss the word processor
sdavidson0819

[Solved] Printing problem

Post by sdavidson0819 »

I made a takeout menu for the restaurant where I work. While editing it and viewing the Page Preview, it looks fine, but when I print it, certain cells in one particular table don't show up. I can adjust the table columns (making the entire table thinner), and it helps, but still not all the cells print out, and if they did, the final product would look a little off. The problem is in the "Pat's Special" section (i.e. the right-most column on page 1).

I have successfully printed from this exact file several times with no problems, though it seems like every time I do, I have to make adjustments (as if it saves it differently every time).

I'm using a Ricoh color laser printer.
Attachments
takeout menu 18 March 2017 (odt).odt
(122.61 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Printing problem (Some cells in table not printing)

Post by erbsenzahl »

Your file is corrupted. Lots of flames are inserted in table cells (anchored to character?! why no anchored as character?), probably they want to show that the eating is hot?!
One (lots of!) of the flames is placed outside the page borders (anchored to page) like in a drawing page. But this is irregular for a text file. It even cannot be erased.
Sometimes it is hidden. Find it there: Just over left upper corner (1 cm) of first page leaflet, first click, then it shows... Also when loading the document a word "pictures" or so appears for short time...

I think best is to start your leaflet again.
The evildoer is shown below, be careful with it! :alarm:

10000201000001E200000252ECDC8B77.png
By the way, first I would decide for
R4. VEGETABLE FRIED RICE
$12.99
With mixed vegetables, egg, peas/carrot, onion

Cheers
Last edited by erbsenzahl on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Deep fried tofu for me,I think
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

@sdavidson0819
Additum

I opened your corrupt file on LibreOffice 5.2.7.2 and it did not show the problems of OpenOffice.
I saved it as PDF, see attached file. All the columns seem to be fixed, I think.

Saving on LibreOffice did not alter the problems of the file. A reopening in OpenOffice produced the same signs of corruption.

To reduce work in gaining a new leaflet I would export the existing file as txt file, unformatted. Then you may start again to edit your new leaflet.

@jrkrideau
Excellent choice!

TakeoutMenu18March2017_LibreOffice_75dpi.pdf
(114.8 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
sdavidson0819

Post by sdavidson0819 »

The .pdf works! Thanks.

For future reference, how should I add pictures in Writer? I tried using the Insert>Picture command, but it screwed up the alignment, no matter how I anchored it. I eventually imported it using Drawing, then, I think I just copied and pasted it into Writer, but I can't really remember. It fixed the alignment issues, but that's when it started showing up outside the document and I couldn't delete it.

Edit: I can say, without a doubt, the two best dishes are the Roasted Duck Curry and the Pineapple Curry. If you don't eat meat or seafood, the Spicy Eggplants with tofu is awesome.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

sdavidson0819 wrote:The .pdf works!
Be aware that the resolution is 75 ppi/dpi. A printout should have 300 dpi. Otherwise the pictures are "pixelated". I couldn't upload a better specimen because of space limit 128 kB in this forum.
sdavidson0819 wrote:how should I add pictures in Writer?
Is it about the flame? You do well; better is only to link the pictures (import dialog: [x] Link).
Before inserting choose a place where there is enough of space around. Then scale it down to a little icon as you need it and anchor it as character within a paragraph (possibly not in table). Then copy and paste into the cells' paragraphs. See my new edited leaflet (one page; rest for you).
I did not edit your tables; they are a litte unconventional in indents/spacing. This does not show in printout but in checking the formats/hidden format symbols.
sdavidson0819 wrote:I can say, without a doubt, the two best dishes are the Roasted Duck Curry and the Pineapple Curry.
I google-mapped your location (Boise) - if I ever travel to the USA I think it's worth a visit. What phantastic surroundings - and gorgeous eating at Pat's Thai Kitchen. :super:

TakeoutMenu18March2017ErbsenzahlNew.odt
(119.93 KiB) Downloaded 61 times