Chinese Characters font problem

Discuss the word processor
ofmydreams

Chinese Characters font problem

Post by ofmydreams »

I am new user of OpenOffice. It works very well for, However the Chinese Character seems not works well with it.

1st, some Chinese characters in Bold font looks like a mess.

2nd, when I type in different Chinese font, the upper part of the Chinese characters are wiped in a small line, it's not easy to see it, but it happen....

Can any one to help to fix this?

Thanks..
mac os 10.12.6
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Chinese Characters font problem

Post by John_Ha »

Nee-how and welcome to the forum.

It looks like it is a problem with the font file itself, and not with Writer. Note that you have two separate problems:

a) a problem with the font used in the document you are typing
b) a problem with the font used by Writer in the User Interface (ie the menus etc)

I have seen posts that say fonts on a Mac are stored in several different places. You might find it useful to post on a Mac users forum. Have you set up the Apple equivalent of Windows Clear Type properly?

For a):

Try using Chinese characters in Notepad or an email - does the same thing happen?

Try using a different font.

You can space characters further apart by selecting the characters and Format > Character > Position ... What happens when you enlarge the font to, say, 50 or 60 points? Is it still corrupted?

For b):

Does changing things in Tools > Options > Language settings > Languages ..., help?

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

See Chapter 2 - Choosing language settings in the Manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ofmydreams

Post by ofmydreams »

thanks for your kind help. I understand what you try to explain.

However, I try to use different font, the problem still remains. I can change the font in the writer, but I cannot change the font in the option view panel.

Then I try to compare OpenOffice with other apps, like pages ( sorry I don't mean to compare any other apps on purpose) with the same font and same size, It looks like the other apps have the better font appearance. English words are good.

For the change things in languages, it doesn't help. and I try do the space character, in "Format > Character > Position" window, I can only change the character space by horizontal, not in vertical. Is there any options that I missing in this setting window?

My screenshot picture link is kind of broken, then I attached again for your reference.

I am reading the Tutorial and try my best to search any keyword of #Chinese##Character#. As far as I can search and learn, It's bit obvious that there's not much knowledge about this Chinese Character issue that I can refer. I will keep learning.
Thanks so much for your information.

mac os 10.12.6
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Can you please upload a .odt file with the problem so that someone can look at it. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you write your post - 128kBytes max.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.