Distribute onto multiple sheets of paper

Discuss the word processor
bowey16

Distribute onto multiple sheets of paper

Post by bowey16 »

*Please help* I am sooooo frustrated . :crazy:

My trusty Kodak printer broke on me :( It was very sad! So I set off in the hopes of finding a new printer which would do the very simple job I need it to do! I bought a HP m130NW. I hard wired it to my computer to ensure it done what I needed, yep there it was 'distribute onto multiple sheets of paper' Spent 1.5 hours on the phone to their support line setting it up on wireless , them telling me its my router etc etc eventually it was set up.

Im going off topic now..... The following day I switched on my newly connected wireless Printer, to find the 'distribute on to multiple pages option' had GONE. :lol: really wasn't funny!

Called HP back to say I've now lost the option , can the printer no longer do this?!?!?!?! 'We don't know speak to open office' :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Please help, All I use it for is to print over sized text and images, up to 8ft long 4ft wide, yup, sometimes over 30 sheets of paper but it worked fine for me!! Heres how I used to do it:

FILE, PRINT, OPEN OFFICE WRITER , DISTRIBUTE ONTO MULTIPLE SHEETS OF PAPER.

PS love openoffice!!
openoffice4.1.2
RoryOF

Re: Distrubute onto multiple sheet of paper *HELP*

Post by RoryOF »

Try the Properties button on the /File /Print : General tab
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bowey16

Post by bowey16 »

Thanks for the speedy reply rory, I have clicked Properties, I can find no option to do what I need. If I click 'advanced' it gives me a drop down of paper sizes, none on which are big enough, I just need to be able to distribute onto the amount of pages the text or image requires.
openoffice4.1.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just examined my three printers. Using Draw. the multiple page selection is on /File /Print OpenOffice Draw tab. I do not find it on Print when used from Writer.
bowey16

Post by bowey16 »

I should also add, I have hardwired the printer to see if the option re appears and it doesn't :(
openoffice4.1.2
acknak

Post by acknak »

You may have better results if you use OO to export a pdf (File > Export as PDF ...) then use your pdf viewer to print. The pdf viewer may have better support (more options) for scaling and printing as needed.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is nothing to do with hardwiring or wifi connection. It is to do with the application used. It is in Draw but not in Writer.
bowey16

Post by bowey16 »

I use Draw 20% of the time when opening an image from writer it automatically changes to draw, I use writer 80% of the time with over sized text up to 240cm long. It has worked on my kodak for 2 years this way and the new HP prior to it being connected to wireless. Since its connected to wireless all of the print options have changed and its a screen I am not familiar with including the new 'advanced' button when printing. I shall try to PDF option and see if that will work for me. Thanks for the advice
openoffice4.1.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Multiple pages is also available in Impress.

I have rechecked using Writer.
The Epson WP 4535 is wifi connected - no multiple pages from Writer (Yes from Draw and Impress)
The Lexmark MX510 is network connected - no multiple pages from Writer (Yes from Draw and Impress)
The Sasung SCX 4520 is USB connected - no multiple pages from Writer (Yes from Draw and Impress)
bowey16

Post by bowey16 »

Hi Rory, Writer/Draw have been the only software I have used for my business for the past two years, never had an issue until yesterday. Perhaps I had old software and installing the new printer updated the printer settings, who knows but Thats how I have been running the business for 2 + years now :)
openoffice4.1.2
bowey16

Post by bowey16 »

Ackank, Your suggestion has worked, thank you so much, I change the settings on PDF to 'poster' and it distributes onto the sheets it needs much appreciated. I will have to look into other software as it doesn't distribute as well as writer did and now I have to go between two programs but its a fix for now! Thanks again!
openoffice4.1.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Printing multiple pages onto a single sheet of paper is done by the printer driver itself - it has nothing to do with the application (Writer).

Read page 47 of the printer manual - it tells you exactly how to do it.
Clipboard01.png
If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:Printing multiple pages onto a single sheet of paper is done by the printer driver itself - it has nothing to do with the application (Writer).
The OP wants to expand one page to multiple sheets, not print multiple pages on one sheet. The OP stated that the option was on File > Print > OpenOffice Writer > Distribute onto multiple sheets of paper, which would be a Writer print option, not a printer setting. However, like RoryOF, I don't see that option on the Writer Print dialog. It is only on the Draw and Impress print dialogs. While changing printers can affect the printer settings, I don't think it should change the options for different AOO modules. Those options should depend on the capability of the module, not the printer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill

Thanks - I misread the question. :oops:

1 Create a PDF from the document
2 Open the PDF with Adobe Reader
3 File > Print. Choose Poster ..., and scale as required.

This is printing a single A4 page with the large figure 1 on it to 4 x A4 sheets.
Clipboard01.png
Also see Multi-Page PDF Banner/Poster from PDF which mentions PosteRazor for image files and Poster Printer.

If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
figure 1.pdf
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.