Can't understand how "remove formatting" works

Discuss the word processor
john1320

Can't understand how "remove formatting" works

Post by john1320 »

There is an option "Ctrl-Shift-X" in both OO and LO. However, I can't figure out how it really works and is it really useful?

I know, there is also another shortcut Ctrl-M. It works okay, as expected. But what about Ctrl-Shift-X?

Exception from OpenOffice manual:
Ctrl+M - Applies default formatting to the selection
Ctrl+Shift+X - Removes direct character formats from selected text.
Exception from LibreOffice manual:
Ctrl+M - Removes direct formatting from the selected text or objects (as in Format > Clear Direct Formatting).
Ctrl+Shift+X - Stops applying direct character formats whilst typing, from the cursor point onward.
Also, does anybody know why Ctrl-M can't remove paragraph backgound color, added via "Right click on the text > Paragraph > Area > Fill = Color". It removes all direct formatting, except background color. Bug?
LibreOffice 5.2.7 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can't understand how "remove formatting" works

Post by Zizi64 »

Also, does anybody know why Ctrl-M can't remove paragraph backgound color, added via "Right click on the text > Paragraph > Area > Fill = Color". It removes all direct formatting, except background color. Bug?
Maybe the background color was set in an applied paragraph style or in an aplied character style.
You can apply the format properties by many methjodes: By direct formatting, by styles (paragraph styles, character styles and others), by conditional formatting, ...

Can you upload an ODF type sample document here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ctrl+Shift+X doesn't seem to do anything for me; I've never tried to use it.

Ctrl+M removes "direct" formatting (applied through the toolbar, or Format > Paragraph ...), leaving only formatting that comes from the paragraph style. It will remove all character formatting (even from styles) from any selected text.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Zizi64 wrote:Maybe the background color was set in an applied paragraph style or in an aplied character style.
Hm, no, it was added as direct formatting. I know it precisely, because I tested it. I attached the test file to this message. Here is how it looks:
before.PNG
And here is how it looks after Ctrl-M pressed (or via menu, no difference):
after.PNG
Attachments
zizi_test.odt
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
john1320

Post by john1320 »

acknak wrote:Ctrl+Shift+X doesn't seem to do anything for me; I've never tried to use it.
Yes, I have seen another topic aboit it with your comment aboit it. You even uploaded a comparison table of different ways to remove formatting : )
acknak wrote:Ctrl+M [,,,] leaving only formatting that comes from the paragraph style. It will remove all character formatting (even from styles)
Hm, for me, it removes only direct formatting of characters. Formatting added via character styles is not removed.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My understanding is that Ctrl M removes any direct formatting, restoring the selection to the standard definition of the applied style. Clear Formatting returns the selection to Default paragraph style. Ctrl Shift X does nothing for me.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Select the grayed paragraphs only:
Paragraph background in AOO 4.1.3
Paragraph background in AOO 4.1.3
Change the Colour value to No Fill.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Select the grayed paragraphs only:
Paragraph area in LO 5.3.4.
Paragraph area in LO 5.3.4.
Click on the button None.
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Zizi64 wrote:Click on the button None.
Yes, I understand. So, Ctrl-M doesn't remove background for you too?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

So, Ctrl-M doesn't remove background for you too?
Absolutely not. Neither in my LO 4.4.7, nor AOO 4.1.3 nor LO 5.2.7, nor LO5.3.4.
I tested it in my AOO 4.1.3: When I have formatted the background of a new paragraph by the toolbar icon, then I can remove it by Ctrl-M. But I can not remove it when I have formatted the paragraph background by right click - floating menu item.

But! Sometimes (after saving in a specific version?? I can not remember...) - I was able to delete it by Ctrl-M!
john1320

Post by john1320 »

Zizi64 wrote:When I have formatted the background of a new paragraph by the toolbar icon, then I can remove it by Ctrl-M.
And doesn't work for me. Lol. Well, Ctrl-M is very weird thing )))
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If I set a paragraph background in the Paragraph Style, and override this by changing Background on the menu bar paragraph style. then select some text within the paragraph and use Character Background to change that area, Ctrl M must be used twice - once on the Character selection to return the background to the modified paragraph background, then again to return the modified Paragraph backgroud to its original setting, then once on the paragraph.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

As I recall, LO has purposefully changed what Format > Default Formatting (Ctrl+M) does; AOO and LO currently behave differently by design.

For that matter, AOO changed it as well some versions back, so older threads on the topic may not be accurate compared to current versions.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I can't see how LO bahaves any differently when removing hard formatting except one thing: :mrgreen:

There seems to be a bug which prevents proper screen updating. Although your para back color might be cleared (reset to the color defined in the underlying para style), you might still see the color on screen. But after saving and reloading the color is gone.

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=108661
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

I think I remember the difference is that LO does not remove character styles, only direct character formatting. AOO removes all character formatting from the selected text. That's from memory and may be wrong; I've not checked it.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I see. AOO resets the character styles within selected paragraphs to "Default" which I find really bad without ever having noticed because I tend to do the formatting in "post production". I'm not a great user of word processors.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice